brakes: planetx forged v CNC

DiscoBoy
DiscoBoy Posts: 905
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of swapping my brakes for one of the above. I realise that this is largely pointless, but I am doing it for the marginal weight savings and because they look cool ;)

I think it's between these two:
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BCPXFOR/pl ... e-calipers

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BCPXULCNC/ ... e-calipers

I gather that they can be tricky to set up, which I can deal with. But then I have seen mixed reviews as to how well they stop.

I'm not clear about the practical differences between the forged and CNC models, they look pretty much the same in design, so is the only difference the weight (20g)? That doesn't seem to make them worth twice as much, to me at least. Or does them being CNC-ed make them stiffer? I weigh about 75kg so do need half decent stopping power.

Then there's the genetic metazoa, but these look almost identical to the planetx cnc, except they cost £120.
http://road.cc/content/review/63764-gen ... e-calipers

Thoughts, anyone?
Red bikes are the fastest.

Comments

• I think you should change your avatar... that's the image of a sensible cyclist... :wink:

One thing I would not save weight or money on is brakes
    left the forum March 2023
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I think you should change your avatar... that's the image of a sensible cyclist... :wink:

One thing I would not save weight or money on is brakes

You clearly can't make out the helmet resting on top of the panniers, how irresponsible :wink:

I doubt that you'd bat an eyelid at someone using dura ace brakes though, they're lighter than my current brakes too ;)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • I think the difference in weight of the calipers across the Shimano range can be quantified in 3-5 peanuts.

As an upgrade, I would invest in the best calipers, whether they are heavy or light it doesn't matter...
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    They're underpowered. Waste of money.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Grill wrote:

Not if they're set up properly.
    More problems but still living....
  • Ive got some of the PX cnc brakes, by far the strongest brakes ive had. Ive tested a fair few road bikes too, although the pads that came with them are a bit rubbish. They're brilliant once set up properly.
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Factor the price of some swissstop pads in, made a huge improvement to the stopping versus the rubbish generic ones I got with mine. Once I had those on, I would say the braking was 95% as good as Ultegra/Chorus level brakes.

The forged ones stop as well as the CNCed.
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    edited February 2014
    amaferanga wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Aren't they a p.i.t.a to set-up, then there's the issue of staying centred.

For those reasons, I'm out.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    amaferanga wrote:
    Grill wrote:

What he said. If set up properly they don't need re-centering either
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Didn't think they were too bad compared to the Chorus I had before them until I had to use them on a very wet decent in the Austrian Alps and then wished I'd not bothered saving a few grams.
    Maybe fine with better pads but imo I wouldn't bother although it does depend on what your upgrading from.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've got the forged ones on my single speed. They weren't to difficult to set up, stay centred, once I got the length of the cable outer correct to the back brake. Mine came with Swissstop green pads and I've had no problems with their stopping power. That said, I'm 68kg and being a single speed haven't hit many big hills, so they haven't been challenged too much. I'm not disappointed I got them.

Here they are in action DSC_0294.jpg
  • I returned a set of these (the small Allen screw was seized and rounded very easily), bought 105 instead, simple, east to setup and they work.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    They look good and they're light but they don't have the stopping power, plus they're a pain in the ass compared to dual pivot.
  • clazza
    clazza Posts: 626
    Have been using Record and tried these to save weight... no problems with setup but nowhere near as powerful. Now back with Record
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I've got a pair on my TT bike and I don't think they are anywhere near as good as the Campag and Shimano brakes I have on my other bikes. Unless I'm missing something there's no quick release so unless your using Campag leavers you may have to let your tyres down to get your wheel out.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    e999sam wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something there's no quick release so unless your using Campag leavers you may have to let your tyres down to get your wheel out.
    You are missing something: to open them up you just push the caliper arms toward the rim and unhook the cable clamp. It's very easy.

I had a set of CNCs and thought they were plenty powerful: better than the unbranded dual pivots they replaced. My main criticism is that the cable gets crushed by the grub screw used to clamp it, and if you pull really hard you can make the cable slip. Centring is a mild pain, but relatively easy when you know how: you don't want the rear cable pushing down on the caliper arm too much, and make fine adjustments with the outside centre pivot bolt . Don't over-tighten the securing hex nuts as they're easy to round.
  • LegendLust
    Fitting Swiss Stop Pads increases the stopping power on these brakes - I've screamed down Alpine descents with these brakes and Swiss Stop Black Prince pads and had plenty of confidence
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    bobones wrote:
    e999sam wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something there's no quick release so unless your using Campag leavers you may have to let your tyres down to get your wheel out.
    You are missing something: to open them up you just push the caliper arms toward the rim and unhook the cable clamp. It's very easy.

I had a set of CNCs and thought they were plenty powerful: better than the unbranded dual pivots they replaced. My main criticism is that the cable gets crushed by the grub screw used to clamp it, and if you pull really hard you can make the cable slip. Centring is a mild pain, but relatively easy when you know how: you don't want the rear cable pushing down on the caliper arm too much, and make fine adjustments with the outside centre pivot bolt . Don't over-tighten the securing hex nuts as they're easy to round.

Got it. Thanks.
  • Bought these for a weight saving build. They are OK. Not as good as Ultegra 6700 on my commuter.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I had them on my Venge and found them to be great. Plenty of power.

If they go awayf rom centre setting then all you need is one 13mm spanner and it takes 5 seconds to correct.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Any modern Shimano or Campag brake will out perform these brakes but that does not stop me running the daftest light weight brake the KCNC CB1 170g per pair. The caliper flexes so much when anchoring the cable I have to hold the caliper tight as I fear it might break. Still they stop O.K sort of1. The planet X brakes are better than these but nearly all brakes are better than the silly KCNC ones.

I say if you want them go for them if you want sensible then buy sensible.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Any modern Shimano or Campag brake will out perform these brakes but that does not stop me running the daftest light weight brake the KCNC CB1 170g per pair. The caliper flexes so much when anchoring the cable I have to hold the caliper tight as I fear it might break. Still they stop O.K sort of1. The planet X brakes are better than these but nearly all brakes are better than the silly KCNC ones.

I say if you want them go for them if you want sensible then buy sensible.

Lol - they look like they have been made out of cereal packets! I admire your reckless foolishness! :lol:

kcnc-brake-hi.jpg

PS - you could save a gram or two more by using the plastic cable adjusters off top end Campag brakes!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Am I wrong or KCNC only makes junk?

The all idea behind CNC machining is to produce sub-standard parts and they push it to the extreme
  • LegendLust
    Am I wrong or KCNC only makes junk?

The all idea behind CNC machining is to produce sub-standard parts and they push it to the extreme

Their skewers are pretty good
  • LegendLust wrote:

Skewers = Shimano, the rest is only good to make mini kebabs on the BBQ
  • I've been running a pair of Planet X (with green Swiss Stop pads) for twelve months now. I'm descending off the mountains of South Wales (Bwlch and Rhigos) every week in all weathers and these brakes are just as good as Ultegra 6700 (which I had on previously) and weigh much less.

Once they are set up properly there are no issues with use.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Brakes I've used
    Chorus - always good, powerful
    Athena - couldn't tell the difference between them and Chorus apart from them being set up continental stylee !
    PX CNC with standard pads not much use in the wet, dry ok but not as good as Chorus
    Sram Force - think they changed the pads or I just need to bed the latest (11spd) ones in (only done maybe 200miles). The ones I had in 2011/12 seemed better (and as good as Chorus) but time will tell.
    Shimano 105 9speed from a 2004 Giant, pretty rubbish but then they are only used in the dry in mallorca, prob down to the pads though.
    Ultegra from 2001 - Ages ago and can't remember and new less than nothing then anyway :wink:
    So until I bed the Sram Force in Chorus are the winners IMO.
    All on alloy rims of course.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust wrote:

Skewers = Shimano, the rest is only good to make mini kebabs on the BBQ

Ok obviously I'm talking shit then. I'll sell all my skewers that work well and buy Shimano instead.
  • LegendLust wrote:
    Ok obviously I'm talking shoot then. I'll sell all my skewers that work well and buy Shimano instead.

Basically yes... that would be the correct thing to do
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Someone's had one too many limoncellos today. I'll not be using any of my campag, fulcrum, mavic or kcnc skewers for mini kebabs...