Help - Single Speed Crank replacement

markshaw77
markshaw77 Posts: 437
edited February 2014 in The workshop
Hi

Looking for some help reasonably urgently!!

Quick background...I have a Kona PaddyWagon (2009) url=http://www.konabikeworld.com/09_paddywagon_u.cfm]specs, etc here[/url which I use as a commute bike which is left out and about in all places/weather. I was riding on Monday evening, when i felt a lot of "squishiness" in the right-hand crank. Couldn't see much in the dark, but when looking at it in the light today, there is a large crack across the crank :shock: :shock: :shock: (photo here)

Obviously, I need to replace it, but I have some questions about what to replace it with.

I think what is on there is an old square taper FSA Gossamer double crankset - it has the single speed chainring mounted on the "inside" position and a chain guard mounted on the "outside" - at a guess I would say it is 110 bcd, but I would need to measure to be sure

My initial guess at my options are:
1. replace "like for like" and get a cheap road (compact) double + appropriate chainring and switch over the chain guard
2. replace with a single-speed crankset (something like this or this or this)

Is there anything else I should consider?

Whichever route i go, am I OK to I reuse the rest of the drivetrain (BB, chain, WI freewheel)? Or do I need to worry about chainline, etc and/or consistency of size (1/8 vs 3/32 - I think the WI freewheel is 3/32 and I am guessing the current crankset is the same)

I could do with getting back on the road ASAP and reasonably inexpensively (though I don't do really cheap/crap parts that break often!), so any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    if you replace with anything different check the chain line.

I recently had to change mine and went for the Miche primato advanced. (they had options on 50t)

never heard of drive line, but if Charlie is selling them, they can't be that bad.

Remember it's a very important part of your power transfer.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I snapped a Sugino crasnk with my awesomeness and replaced it with a Stronglight 2000 chasinset from Planet X http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CSSTTR2K/s ... 0-crankset

I did have to replace the BB at the same time but I had an old 107mm UN54 gathering dust & rust that lasted another year of commuting.

The Driveline & Sturmey chainsets look very much alike and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't come out of the same factory.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I have a Driveline Track Cranks, no issues and mine came with a BB & chainring (130bcd), I ditched the chainring since I was going 1x8 and not SS

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url