Largest Mudguards, Wheels/Tyres and Rack for Day One Disc?

BR 1979
BR 1979 Posts: 296
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
'Afternoon.

Can anyone help me with this please?

I have a new Day One Disc arriving imminently and am going to spec it up for new commuter.

Current definite (probably!) spec:

Day One Disc (singlespeed)
Spa Cycles Brooks-esque saddle (black)
(+ Handlebar tape to match)
C and B seen front lights running from battery in bottle.

I am intending to remove the rear brake and run fixed (as I have with my last two Langsters).

I would like to buy:

1) LIghtweight rear rack (want something minimalist). It's to carry my shirts/pants/socks in a pannier in on a Monday and will have nothing on it until the Friday night when I take the washing home. Thinking of a TorTech Ultralight? Doesn't have to be disc specific as I'll be ditching the rear brake. Will also have handy use of protecting the back end of the bike a bit when in guards van on train. Also, what is brightest light I can bolt to normal rack mountings with self-contained power source?

2) Fixed gear wheelset. I'd quite like to get something quite fancy, wide rim. Given rims will not be braking surface I don't mind spending some cash on it. Purchasing parts and then getting built by Ugo or similar is fine by me.

3) Tyres for the above. If they made a, say, 35mm GP4S that's what I'd buy. What is the equivalent? What is bigget I can get on there to fit with the wide rims and mudguards (below).

4) What are the biggest, most all encompassing, spray reducing metal mudguards I can get from Honjo / Freshtripe / Velo Orange etc? Obviously to work in conjunction with the rims/tyres above?

I will keep the original wheelset for some ice/snow tyres. (I use the bike as my sole means of getting to station and commuting the London end.)

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Had a suggestion following a request I put to someone on the forum regarding the wheels/tyres:

"The rim you need is either the Velocity A23 or H plus Son archetype. For commuting in all weather XT M785 hubs would be perfect but as these are centre lock you may prefer Novatec D711 SB 6 bolt fitting.

So proposed spec is 32H black archetype black Sapim race spokes, Novatec D711SB hubs + Aztec centre lock to 6 bolt adapter/ 32H black archetype black Sapim race spokes Ambrosio Zenith fixed hub."

Tyres = Vittoria Randonneur Pro. Size not specified.

Any thoughts on this? Or mudguards/fenders to suit?