SKS Chromoplastic Road Mudguard mod

fuzzhead1
fuzzhead1 Posts: 41
edited February 2014 in Workshop
hi guys

thought id share some pictures of SKS Chromoplastic Road Mudguard on my road bike

i had a few problems and wanted to share my ideas incase some of you were thinking of buying these bad boys

when i bought the sks mudguards i knew already i would have a few problems fitting them

to start… the front forks have no eyelets to screw the bolt in.
some of you are probably thinking " why didnt you get thr crud mk2?"
i dont want to get into a crud vs sks

i personally dont like them, my mates got them and they are flimsy and feel they wont last long, plus i had wiggle vouchers and wiggle decided to put the price up from £17.99 to £26.99 Sod paying that. the sks are cheaper at £23.99 and positive feedback

anyway, like i said, the front forks have no eyelets, so i went on ebay and bought a pair of A2 stainless steel p-clips and it was rubber lined.
cost me £2.10 plus 1.29 total £3.39

i fitted the front mudguards and works a treat. no rub and feel sturdy.

when i came to fitting the rear mudguard, my bike has no chainstsy bridge.

so i started to look in my garage and my dads. i found a few metal clips but didnt like it. looked on ebay and found nothing.

accidentally, i was rummaging in my spares box for bike stuff and found a front reflector light with a plastic clip.
i took the reflector of and was left with just the clip.

i attached it to the bottom down tube on my bike

the sks rear mudguards have 3 holes for the chainstsy bridge. i just used a cable tie, threaded around the screw that holds the plastic clip on my bike and into the 2 holes of the mudgurads.

what a genius i am lol. i love cable ties. so easy and quick

i felt like i was a member of the A-team when they are making a tank with guns and shit lol

any it works and the reason im writing this is to share my experience and give people the confidence to have a go them selves

im really please and look at the pictures and see what you think

frontfork_zps3fc2cb1f.jpg

IMG_3109_zpsa921ad68.jpg

IMG_3106_zps35785190.jpg

IMG_3110_zps4117fa8c.jpg

IMG_3111_zps15836578.jpg

IMG_3103_zps406799c7.jpg
raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the reason i have trust issues

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Well done, good to see someone working out a solution to a problem :D
    Next you need a home made mudflap for the front guard :wink:
    Looks good and sturdy, bet you can't wait to get out in the rain now !!
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Nice work! You must have some reasonable clearance under the rear brake caliper? I am not sure I would have got this to work on my roubaix.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Nicely done
    topdude wrote:
    ...Next you need a home made mudflap for the front guard :wink:
    I think it's got one
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Nicely done
    topdude wrote:
    I think it's got one

No, get an empty plastic milk bottle or detergent container or something and make a V-shaped extension to poprivet or bolt onto the end of your front mudguard, make it longer and a bit wider

Stops you riding through a puddle and half of it being dumped onto your shoe
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Nicely done
    topdude wrote:
    I think it's got one

No, get an empty plastic milk bottle or detergent container or something and make a V-shaped extension to poprivet or bolt onto the end of your front mudguard, make it longer and a bit wider

Stops you riding through a puddle and half of it being dumped onto your shoe
    My Chromoplastics bought a year or two back has a rubber mudflap on the front guard and it does keep you dry when you hit a big puddle. I think there's a small one in the pictures here too but it doesn't look quite big enough. I think the mudguard stops where you see the two rivets where the support strut connects and the last 50mm or so is the mudflap. It could perhaps be longer.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    For a home-made mudflap that works well and looks more professional than a bit of plastic bottle, have a look at damp proof course material from a DIY store. It's made of flexible but stiff enough black plastic with a sort of diamond strengthening pattern and can be easily cut to whatever shape and length you want. A big roll only costs about a fiver. You can fit by drilling out one or both of the rivets holding the stays and replace with nut and bolt or screw. Or you can make a hole through the plastic guard itself and attach in the same way.

I have always found that the weak bit of plastic fitted as standard to some SKS front mudguards to be too small to protect your feet and bottom bracket area. They always break off after a while as well.

Really impressed with OP's fitting tricks. Looks great.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I was just lamenting the lack of mudguard fittings on one of my bikes earlier, now it looks like I might be able to try and bodge my set of chromoplastics on.
  • Very impressed OP :!:
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    That's a nice job you've made of fitting your guards, are they the full type without cut outs under the brake/fork mountings and what width are they?
  • topdude wrote:
    Well done, good to see someone working out a solution to a problem :D
    Next you need a home made mudflap for the front guard :wink:
    Looks good and sturdy, bet you can't wait to get out in the rain now !!

its strange but now i can't wait to ride through puddles. weeeee

i hope it inspires people to do the same and share there solution to problems
    raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the reason i have trust issues
  • boydster76 wrote:
    Nice work! You must have some reasonable clearance under the rear brake caliper? I am not sure I would have got this to work on my roubaix.

iv got plenty of room on my rear brake calliper.

don't let it put you of. give it a go :D
  • Gozzy wrote:
    I was just lamenting the lack of mudguard fittings on one of my bikes earlier, now it looks like I might be able to try and bodge my set of chromoplastics on.

do it, do it don't let it put you of. :D
  • DJ58 wrote:
    That's a nice job you've made of fitting your guards, are they the full type without cut outs under the brake/fork mountings and what width are they?

yes they are. i did think about getting the sks long clip on blades but i don't like the gap under the brake callipers and the clips that go in the skewers also put me of.

the mudguards size i bought of wiggle are 35mm 700x20-28 narrow

iv got 25mm tyres. really pleased
  • im gonna look into mud flaps, but ill give it a couple of rides
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Very impressed but alas nothing like enough clearance on any of my bikes other than one that already has mudguard fittings.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    fuzzhead1 wrote:
    im gonna look into mud flaps, but ill give it a couple of rides
    Give these ones a go.

My SKS Longboards come with these fitted and they're not at all flimsy and I'd imagine they'd fit your chromos well.

sks-longboard-road-mudguard-set-700-x-35mm.jpg