The Wind

damocles10
damocles10 Posts: 340
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
London this morning was terrible. Not only with road chaos with the tube strike but the gusts are very strong.

I was nearly blown off the bike 4 times by gusts and down drafts from building on Euston Road - terrifying! Had to cycle around 12 mph to prevent my front wheel from being pushed around.

Be careful out there.

Chris

Comments

• You should try living on the North-East Coast. That just classed as a 'breeze' up here.
    (But in all honesty - I have a new route to avoid the wind at the moment. 15 minutes longer, but a lot safer.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I didn't find it too bad today (it was a cross/headwind for me) though I was slow as hell :(

Looking forward to the tailwind on the way home though ;)
  • bucklb
    bucklb Posts: 296
    Christmas Eve was the scariest I've had yet. With the wind at my back it felt like the bike was going to be blown right out from under me & I'd be left stood in the road as it sailed off without me. The accompanying snow was no fun either.

Made today feel like a minor breeze by comparison.
    Nice blow in to work this morning ... I guess I will end up getting wet this evening - with the massive headwind to boot ... :( Ah well - all good training! ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Nice blow in to work this morning ... I guess I will end up getting wet this evening - with the massive headwind to boot ... :( Ah well - all good training! ;)

The wind is turning round a bit for tonight...I get a headwind for both rides :( good training though :)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'd hoped to have missed the worst of the rain this evening ... and just over an hour ago it looked like I would've had a small window ... just checked rainalarm and it looks like I'm now going to cop the worst of it :(

Oh well - I did put the waterproof trousers and have a splashermac to put on over my water resistant jacket ...

Snorkel .... where did I put the snorkel?!
  • Tail winds are awesome when you get them - I am having to ride from East London to Reading on Saturday and back on Sunday. Saturday will be 50 +/- miles of strong headwind and pain while Sundays return will be nice and swift. It's the cross winds I don't like especially when they are gusting [ shaking fist at the sky ] damn you climate change.....it could be worse, it's usually snowing this time of the year and it's actually quite mild.....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Winds? Time to MTFU like the Dutch :-)

http://youtu.be/8j_tb5_v31Y
  • Mikey23
    And this well known one which still makes I larf...

http://youtu.be/H8qgjyqibwY

(Cheesy music warning)
  • Mickey23, yes! that was what it was like. Trying to get on the bike and it blowing away from under me :)
  • Mikey23
    I think that bit is absolutely brilliant!