Centerlock Hub Frame Clearance

BloggingFit
BloggingFit Posts: 919
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone enlighten as to any possible clearance issues with Frame Stays when using Centerlock Hubs (Straight Pull Spokes) & Rotars?

Being a Shimano standard I can't forsee any issue that close to the hub body with the increased diameter of the spline but interested to see if anyone has had experience/issues...
Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if your frame was made before the standard was produced you might have problems but i would not expect it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • By the look of it the spline sits flush with the edge of the rotor so looks like no issue.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Some frame manufacturers recommend centrelock because they offer more clearance.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    warpcow wrote:
    Some frame manufacturers recommend centrelock because they offer more clearance.
    interesting. as the disc is in exactly the same place but you have the locking ring on the outside which might just stick out a tad more than the bolts or the other way round depending on the bolts used.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Centerlock clearance depends on the axle too. QRs are alot slimmer than 12mm axles.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I ran saint centre locks back when saint was first released (decade ago or so?) on an old, although not then, Orange Msisle. Never had any clearance issues.

Is there a particular desire for centre lock or have you just picked up some wheels that are centre lock? Personally prefer 6 bolt as it means if you want to swap rotors you can fit just about anybody's without having to run converters and centre locks (in my experience) tend to work loose faster giving an annoying wobble, this is obviously exaggerated when combined with any pad movement and some floating rotor designs. Yes, I own a torque wrench.

But no, you shouldn't have any clearance issues, it's not something I've ever encountered.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • Doing a wheel build and the hub with straight pull spokes are a centerlock rotor setup.

Not worried about wapping about rotors as this will be a summer wheel build with the stock wheels kept for winter months!