Rear wheel noise

Skinner2k3
Skinner2k3 Posts: 310
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Noticed on the way home yesterday a intermittent noise had appeared from the rear wheel.

Seemed to be three almost plucking noises, like something caught in the spokes and then would go away again. Bumps in the road or changes of gear often prompted it.

Stopped and checked spokes a couple of times (squeezing a pair at a time) and found nothing. Its not buckled nor running out.

I had hit a pot hole rather hard on the way in but rode on another 4 or 5 miles to work without issue.

Took the rest of the journey home steady ish but at times swear I could feel the back end wandering (may have been paranoia!).

Any ideas what to check? The wheels are approx 2000 mile old RS501.

Comments

• Tyre is the first thing to check if you hit a pothole hard.

Then check the nipples.. any sign of cracks around them?
    Then check the spokes which you have already done.
    QUick release and freehub last...

If all is positive then the wheel should be fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Does it only happen in the biggest cog at the back? If so check the rear mech cage isn't touching the spokes at some point in the wheel revolution (this can look fine off the bike and only happen when you're on it and there's load on the wheel from my experience). It makes a similar sound to the one you're describing.
  • Thanks Ugo.

Tyre looked/felt ok (had to ride 15 miles home on it).

Did try and check around the nipples but failing light and them not being clean meant I couldnt see much. Will clean them up and inspect in good light before I use them again.

How would I check the freehub? As I was riding home I freewheeled and then took notice of how it re-engaged and it seemed to pick up drive as normal.
  • pirnie wrote:
    Does it only happen in the biggest cog at the back? If so check the rear mech cage isn't touching the spokes at some point in the wheel revolution (this can look fine off the bike and only happen when you're on it and there's load on the wheel from my experience). It makes a similar sound to the one you're describing.

Doesnt happen in any particular gear, just noticed a couple of times it would happen when changing gears.
  • Skinner2k3 wrote:
    How would I check the freehub? As I was riding home I freewheeled and then took notice of how it re-engaged and it seemed to pick up drive as normal.

Yes, that's how you check the freehub... if it does its job all is good. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong then
  • Most likely culprit is spoke tension then I guess, hopefully not a cracked rim. Can they just come loose after an impact?
  • Yes, if the rim gets slightly damaged, the spoke can lose tension. That can be compensated by increasing the tension and depending on the extent of the damage the botch can work well or can last a few miles before losing tension again
  • Rode outside again this weekend (rather than turbo) and its still making noises.

Same plucking sound as before but this time i noticed on a steepish decent on which I was coasting whilst braking all the way down the plucking noise was constant. Also had a higher pitched metallic sound as I changed gears a couple of times under mild load.

Just pulled the cassette, axel and free hub off and it all looks and sounds fine? Can't really service the free hub anyway so I guess I will put it all back. This wheel is destined for turbo use only I think.
  • Skinner2k3 wrote:
    Just pulled the cassette, axel and free hub off and it all looks and sounds fine? Can't really service the free hub anyway so I guess I will put it all back. This wheel is destined for turbo use only I think.

Of course whatever it is it's beyond repair... :lol:
    Can you not take it to your bike shop?
  • Fair point, maybe a slight over reaction :)

Will get someone to look at the spoke tension, just dont want to throw too much cash at what is a half worn, fairly low quality wheel anyway.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I had a creaking sound from my rear wheel. It went when I poured some oil down the axle.

Did You try doing that?