I am a wimp and a coward

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
Woke early, looked out of the window and saw rain and wind. So decided to take car in rather than ride the 15 miles to work.

By the time it came to departure time, weather was fine although wind still strong.

What a total pansy. Healthy dose of MTFU needed.

Therefore I elect myself "wimp of the day".

Please feel free to contribute abuse.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    You bloomin great big Jessie. :P
    Feel free to act smug later though if the weather gets worse as expected.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Head wind in for me all the way in - a solid 21 mph - no gusts thankfully, Should be a TWH!!

Wimp.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • secretsam
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Hmmm...6/10 for effort
    Veronese68 wrote:
    That would rely on the Met Office and associated soothsayers having correctly interpreted the runes/tea leaves/pig's entrails/etc.

• Woke to noise of wind howling round the house. 35 mile round trip with half of those on exposed nsl roads? ah'm oot. Even monday's relatively benign breeze was enough to push me off line even with 28mm tyres on.
  • You are a wimp and coward and need to hand your genitals in at the nearest Police Station lost property dept.

I am NOT a wimp and a coward even though I did not cycle today as by PURE COINCIDENCE it's my day off this week.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Appalling lack of moral fibre. As for this talk of worsening conditions, I laugh in the face of meteorological danger. This will be me, later on:

888cf1c7b69fc66789c809346ccc4674_width_640x.jpg

Except on a bike, natch.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Discretion is the better part of valour...

....but not in this case. You need to suck it in and toughen up princess!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    SecretSam wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Hmmm...6/10 for effort
    Couldn't push it too far as it could come back to bite me on the aris before long. Pot, kettle and all that.
    SecretSam wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    That would rely on the Met Office and associated soothsayers having correctly interpreted the runes/tea leaves/pig's entrails/etc.
    Hence the all important "if"

I have to drive tomorrow and Friday as I have my son's parents evening tomorrow and then I have to go to a funeral on Friday. Unfortunately my car is away being repaired and I stupidly told them I wouldn't need a courtesy car as I don't use it during the week. So off to Wimbledon tonight to borrow my Dad's car.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Slightly relieved to have taken car on annual M.O.T. renewal outing this morning, but disappointed to miss the wind-assisted return journey tonight.
  • You wimp!

A bike is for life - NOT just for Christmas/summer!
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I am NOT a wimp and a coward even though I did not cycle today as by PURE COINCIDENCE it's my day off this week.

You have a day off work and you have not taken advantage of the opportunity to go out for a long ride on your bike?

You, sir, are a wimp and, I must say, a coward!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:

You have a day off work and you have not taken advantage of the opportunity to go out for a long ride on your bike?

You, sir, are a wimp and, I must say, a coward!

Ah, no sorry; you misunderstand: it's my day off the bike today. I'm doing 4 days bike commuting this week (1st time this year since the 3 month hiatus)

I'm in work today, presently watching the trees swaying like a drunken Ent.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • secretsam
    You wimp!

A bike is for life - NOT just for Christmas/summer!

Better

• I'm presently being amused watching all the kitchen waste from the canteen that was left outside the door not being outside the door any more.

The cardboard boxes are one thing but the pallets are an unexpected bonus
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • The cleaner has just come out and put the cardboard back exactly where it was before it got blown away.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I am a wimp and a coward as I am too scared to go to the dentist. I haven't been in about 6 or 7 years and have no intention of going back until I have toothache.
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • secretsam
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    I am a wimp and a coward as I am too scared to go to the dentist. I haven't been in about 6 or 7 years and have no intention of going back until I have toothache.

You utter fairy. What's scary about someone who makes you lie down with a bright light shining in your eyes, then sticks sharp implements, needles and drills into your teeth?

I went to University with a guy who had a dental phobia, in the end he had to go - and found out he needed 4 fillings. He nearly had a breakdown. The dentist told him that if he'd come back every year, then he might not have needed any...

Go. Now.

BTW: bad teeth is a major cause of halitosis...

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    SecretSam wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    I am a wimp and a coward as I am too scared to go to the dentist. I haven't been in about 6 or 7 years and have no intention of going back until I have toothache.

You utter fairy. What's scary about someone who makes you lie down with a bright light shining in your eyes, then sticks sharp implements, needles and drills into your teeth?

I went to University with a guy who had a dental phobia, in the end he had to go - and found out he needed 4 fillings. He nearly had a breakdown. The dentist told him that if he'd come back every year, then he might not have needed any...

Go. Now.

BTW: bad teeth is a major cause of halitosis...

I am ashamed to admit that I hadn't been from age 21 when I had my wisdom teeth out (bad experience) to age 35 when I got toothache so bad that I couldn't sleep. Luckily I am the granddaughter of a dentist so I only needed one filling and my teeth were in pretty good shape. But, I still needed a filling.

I told the dentist I went to that I was a nervous patient so he bore it in mind. Things have changed a lot in the last ten, twenty years apparently - things like conscious sedation and stuff. They put this gel on the injection site that tasted like Juicy Fruit and numbed the area so that I couldn't even feel the needle going in, let alone any of the dental work. I looked like I had Bells palsy for the rest of the day as I was numb from my bottom eyelid to my jaw, but no pain, and I go every six months now.
    So go to the dentist and if they need to do anything then ask for the gel.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Last Friday's commute home was about the worst I can remember for a while. The headwind factor - I travel SW on the way home, right into it - added 20 minutes to my normal journey time of about 1hr 15 mins. When I got home my legs felt as if I''d sprinted up Alpe D'Huez - I was so wet I literally peeled all my cycle gear off and stuck it straight in the washing machine.

I'm a man me........
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How can I heap abuse on such a snivelling wretched excuse of a man such as you, that would just be bullying.

Not that I've been on my bike for 2 weeks as a mouth operation leaves the prospect of inhaling cold air right now straight across the wound strangely unappealing....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • secretsam
    The Rookie wrote:
    How can I heap abuse on such a snivelling wretched excuse of a man such as you, that would just be bullying.

Not that I've been on my bike for 2 weeks as a mouth operation leaves the prospect of inhaling cold air right now straight across the wound strangely unappealing....

Blouse

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I would have been out in all this rubbish weather but it really would damage my nail varnish...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Rule 5

That is all.

Well, actually it's not all.

Wimp.

Coward.
  • secretsam
    Well, I rode in today despite horrendous weather (rain, wind, some more rain) (and a bit more rain) (and some cold. Did I mention the rain?)

I declare that I have therefore grown some stones :D