Trimming Shimano Deore M615 Brake Hoses

peterpolo
peterpolo Posts: 27
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

Bought these pre-bled brakes and fitted them no problem but the hoses were way to long so I had to shorten them. I read a lot of conflicting advice on various forums but decided to attempt shortening the cable without bleeding. It appears to have worked fine so I have listed what I did below. As a warning, from what I've read, this doesn't work for everyone so treat it as "what I did and it worked" rather than "this will work for you":

I did it as follows and you will need two people

• Adjusted brake levers so reservoir was level and at highest point
• Removed pads and put in little bits of card to stop the pistons hitting the disc (didn’t happen anyway).
• Squeezed brake lever fully in to handlebar and taped it down
• Measured length of hose I needed (twice) and cut to correct length (once)at the lever end.
• Held hose connected to calliper upright whilst I removed the 8mm nut/screw for compression fitting (and the short length of cable) from the brake lever.
• Placed 8mm nut/screw onto cable I was using (the bit connected to the caliper) followed by a new olive.
• Placed new barbed insert into brake hose (this is a very tight fit so widened hole with small allan key and pressed it very hard in using the flat side of my pliers – you may need to clamp the hose (chocks supplied with brakes) and hammer it in)
• Pushed hose into brake lever fully
• Moved olive and nut into place and tightened
• Removed card, pushed pistons back and replaced brake pads
• Released brake levers and then pressed back in. 1st time there was no bite, second they were biting perfectly.

Good luck!

Comments