Race Number 13

2»

Comments

• Cool, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks, sorry I meant thread.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Mr Bunbury wrote:
    Last time I got 13 I pinned it on upside down and I'm not superstitious at all: it's just the traditional thing to do.

Sorry, that's a logical fallacy. The tradition is based entirely on the superstition aspect. If there was no folklore around the issue of #13 being unlucky, nobody would do it. The sooner it stops, the better, IMO - but I doubt if it ever will.

Nope. You do not become superstitious by doing things that superstitious people do, any more than you become a horse by eating grass and saying "neigh". If I pin a number 13 on the wrong way down, it's not because I believe it will have any effect on my performance, because I don't believe that: like I said, I'm not superstitious. I do it because it's the traditional thing to do, it's a bit of fun, it breaks up the uniformity of life and if it annoys a few people like you, so much the better :lol:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Mr Bunbury wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Mr Bunbury wrote:
    Last time I got 13 I pinned it on upside down and I'm not superstitious at all: it's just the traditional thing to do.

Sorry, that's a logical fallacy. The tradition is based entirely on the superstition aspect. If there was no folklore around the issue of #13 being unlucky, nobody would do it. The sooner it stops, the better, IMO - but I doubt if it ever will.

Nope. You do not become superstitious by doing things that superstitious people do, any more than you become a horse by eating grass and saying "neigh". If I pin a number 13 on the wrong way down, it's not because I believe it will have any effect on my performance, because I don't believe that: like I said, I'm not superstitious. I do it because it's the traditional thing to do, it's a bit of fun, it breaks up the uniformity of life and if it annoys a few people like you, so much the better :lol:

Still quite a bit of irony there - talking about 'breaking up the uniformity of life' while at the same time conforming to an outmoded superstitious stereotype. Surely, the people actually 'breaking up the uniformity, etc, etc' are those who don't conform in the way that you do?

Let me guess though - if everyone wore their underpants back to front as a mark of tradition, you would do that too? :lol:
  • Probably not, because it would be uncomfortable. The difference with the number 13 is that there's no possible downside to it - esepecially as it's widely known enough that no marshal, timekeeper or commissaire is going to be unable to tell who I am.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You've clearly never been a finish line judge. Hang on though, perhaps if everyone wore their numbers upside down? Now there's an idea....