Nobbly Nic loosing air from sidewalls

gunny_bedford
gunny_bedford Posts: 347
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
So

I have got a Schwalbe Nobbly Nic UST at 2.25 wide, that came 2nd hand with my Tomac Carbide XC, it was running with tubes, but having got a new set of wheels for it, changed it over to tubeless yesterday.

They tyre looks fairly new, not much wear on the treads and lots of the rubber moulding flash still sticking up on the side treads, which makes me think it has not down much mileage, however it is leaking air from the sideawalls ?? I can't see any obvious damage, but when I rub spit around the sidewalls small bubbles can be seen seeping from the rubber ??

Ive go 60 oz of stans sealant in there, that does not seem to be able to stop this ? I could put some more in, but don't really what to end up adding loads, as that will kinda defeat one of the objects of going tubless ie weight.

I know these tyres are said to have thin sidewalls, but I have never experienced this with other makes of ust tyres, especially when they appear to be fairly new, any suggestions or similar experiences with this type ?
thanks Neil

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I've had the same issue with the same tyre, the sidewalls are very porous but they will eventually seal, you just have to keep re inflating and spinning the wheel at different angles to distribute the sealant all around the inside of the tyre. One thin I found that helped was to paint, and let dry, a layer of sealant on the inside of the tyre before mounting.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    shouldn't need sealant for UST tyres - are you sure they are UST tyres?

some tyres have been known to take a lot of sealant to stop leaking - make sure you shake the wheel so the stuff covers the sidewalls
  • UST should be possible to run without sealant on a UST rim.

If you're using sealant on a tubeless ready system make sure you don't use C02 to inflate, it solidifies the sealant.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • Fitted these recently on stans crest rims - perfect - they sealed up no problem - did make sure the sealant was well shaken around the tyre and you could see the walls sealing themselves.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

Ive go 60 oz of stans sealant in there,

I hope thats a typo 60oz is 3 pints :shock: . Best way too seal small leaks is just go for a ride.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thanks for the replies , they are tubeless ready not UST , no have not got 3 pints in them ! But it might take that much to seal them !! It would appear as suggested I will have to re inflate and spin them around quite a few times to get the walls sealed . Before I have always used bontrager tubeless tyres which have never had to have the sidewalls sealed with sealant .
  • If the tyres are second hand it's hardly fair to compare them to a new tyre. They could have had a puncture in the side wall which will need sealing.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.