Mudguards

Chunkyone
Chunkyone Posts: 53
edited February 2014 in The workshop
Any recommendations on full 700c mudguards would be appreciated. In the last 12 months I have snapped my rear SKS mudguard at the top of the arch. Its getting to be an expensive problem!

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Is it the guard itself or the metal bracket ?
    I stopped using the metal brackets that comes with guards for fitment to brake bridge and bottom chainstay bridge as I found that using these resulted in rattling and also had a tendency to break.
    I now drill a small hole or 2 at each place to attach to the frame via zip ties.
    No rattling.
    Having said that my rear SKS broke where I'd drilled the hole a week or so back, after about a years worth of regular commuting use - maybe I need to be more judicious with my drilling but I just was able to overlap the 2 halves and re-drill the holes so it is still usable.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Sks mudguards seam to fatigue on the rear and crack. I've been using full length Tortec mudguards. They are a similar design, and (so far) have lasted about 10,000 miles.
  • My friends SKS Raceblade longs cracked across where the rearmost pair of supports attached. They sent him a brand new pair, but they were fairly new. He thought it may have been because he put the supports in the wrong place and there was too much unsupported mudguard behind them. I don't know if that rings true for you.

I have a set of SKS Chromoplastics on the commuter which are 6 years old now, take an absolute beating and are still fine.

On my winter bike without any mudguard bosses I use the Crud Road Racer Mk II's. They may look a bit wobbly and they do boucne of the tyre a bit (even with 23's) but so far I have found them indestutable!
  • Thanks for your help all.

I commute 11 -15 miles each way to work everyday and cant stand things rattling around so will give the Crud's a miss. I thing I might try the Tortec ones this time and see if I can get them to last anymore than 6 months!

I must say that the SKS guards have only broken as a result of going down some almighty pot hole but don't get me started on that!
  • I too have had the cracking with the SKS. I've now gone with the Tortec and very pleased with them
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I've just fitted a second set of SKS chromoplastic gaurds after 25000 miles and that was because I snapped the front gaurd when I came off.
    In my experiance they only snap when they are not fitted securely. If they are rattling at the seat stay bridge then all you should need to do is crimp the bracket onto the gaurd a little tighter.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    My SKS have been going for several years now but have required some TLC & mods;-

The clamping bracket on the rear has been drilled and bolted, so that it doesn't rattle. The metal fixings that fix the stay brackets in place have all broken and have been drilled out and bolted, other than that they're still going strong
  • gbsahne001
    The set on the CX have now died; the rear has snapped clean across and is now being held together with Gaffer tape.

Maybe time to look at Tortc
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Think John's Bikes in Bath sell SKS parts eg new bridge

Or just use a cable tie like me (cheapskate!)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • gbsahne001
    SecretSam wrote:
    Think John's Bikes in Bath sell SKS parts eg new bridge

Or just use a cable tie like me (cheapskate!)

they do, but as the mudguard is completely apart at the back then time for new or some structural adhesive