Bike advice please

rabbiton
rabbiton Posts: 3
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I'm relatively new to off roading and am looking to buy a bike.
I have approx £750 to spend and have narrowed it down to possibly
The Trek Minx S this has 26" wheels and my local shop has it on sale or
The Cube Acid 2014 27.5"

Would it be foolish to go for a 26" when some brands are going over to 29" or 27.5"?
One shop told me 26" would be obsolete v soon. I'm not convinced my frame size (15"-17") would work with 29ers.

So any advice :?:

Comments

• True that 26" wheeled bikes are being phased out by many manufacturers, but given that literally millions of 26" wheeled bikes are still out there, getting tyres and components etc will be easy and be around for a long time yet. The best thing to do is try some bikes.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    If you post links to the bikes you'll get a better response.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My wife bought a Trek Mynx SL women's mountain bike in the summer sales and really likes it. She was not keen on 29" wheels being 5ft2 so liked the 26" wheels and also plenty of stand over height. It was 30% off and a good XC mountain bike for the money. Give one a test ride and see what you think. Also try other bikes including 29" wheeled bikes as you may prefer them instead.
  • Thats good to know - I've just seen the cube Acid also comes in 27.5 wheels - so now am totally confused. Are 27.5 so much better?
    Which would give me the better frame - I assume components could be updated later.

The link for the Cube is
    http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/ ... -bike.html

The link for the Mynx is
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... 076#select
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would do some test rides and buy the bike that feels the best when you ride it and also you like the look of. Compare the specs and prices to other bikes to make sure you are getting good value for money.

My wife test rode the mynx sl and mynx s but preferred the sl as for her it rode and looked better.

Very roughly speaking the larger the wheel size the smoother the bike rides but the slower it handles. The difference is not vast but test rides will show which you prefer. I ride a Carve 29" wheeled bike as it felt right to me when I test rode it. It handles all trails well for me.