lateral play of crank arms

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited February 2014 in Workshop
The crank arms on my supersix evo have developed significant lateral play (side to side). The bottom bracket is press fit 30 and the crank set is a SRAM s900 (gxp).

I did not fit the crankset to the bottom bracket - thus I have no idea how it is built up. I have other bikes which have no real issues with the bottom bracket - however, this set up - started creaking very soon after I bought the bike (not badly though) and I have just noticed the play - fairly sure it has not been like that for long.

I suspect I will have to replace the bottom bracket, but obviously would like the bottom bracket to last longer (more than 1500 miles of cycling). As I do not know how the whole arrangement works I am at a loss to see how such significant play should develop.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The cranks are clamped on the non drive bearing.

Play.

Lose bolt.

Lack of grease in the bearings.

Worn bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    nicklouse wrote:
    The cranks are clamped on the non drive bearing.

Play.

Lose bolt.

Lack of grease in the bearings.

Worn bearings.

I understand how a loose bolt can induce play - but how does worn bearing + lack of grease induce lateral play?
  • In gxp the bolt that's on the nds takes up slack in the bb. I'd check this first.
  • Either that or its whatever adapter you're using to convert from pf30 to gxp