Is something amiss with my new campag compatible wheels

damocles10
damocles10 Posts: 340
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I have not been here for a while....

I hope someone can help me.

I have just bought a nice pair of Campag Bullet 80 wheels for Campag drivetrain. I received them today and they look very nice, unfortunately I couldn't ride them because when I tried to fit the cassette I found the 10 speed Campag cassette was too small . I am wondering if they supplied me with Shimano by mistake.

My question is. Can I simply take of the Campag free hub body from my old DT Swiss wheels and swap them over. I have att. some pics....my main concern is compatibility, looking at the pics, the locking nut looks like they're different sizes - I won't touch the new wheels as I am waiting for feedback from the suppliers.

I have never used Shimano so I have no idea what the free hub body looks like.

Any help would be warmly appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris

1.jpg

2.jpg

Comments

• I've just had a look at my own new Campagnolo wheels and they look like the ones in the top picture, definitely a different spline pattern, you've got the Shimanos by the look of it.

If they're new and you bought them as Campagnolo fitting, then you should be able to send them back at no cost to yourself. It's the shops mistake. If you just clicked and bought as you assumed being Campag that they would automatically be Campag fitting, then you may have to pay for the return postage on the exchange.

Either way I reckon on a brand new pair of wheels you'll be better off getting the right freehub in the first place rather than messing about trying to stick your old used freehub on (plus, you'll probably have more maintenance issues using an old free-hub, not worth the hassle for the potential savings on any extra postage costs). Anyway, if you mess it up then you'll likely not be able to exchange them once messed with, as it's not a warranty issue.

Just wait to hear back from the shop and go from there.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • Thanks for the reply. I definitely ordered the Campagnolo free hub.

I was so looking forward to riding them today as it was dry - not going to ride them in the wet, just yet.

You have a point about the extra maintenance with an older part.

Yeah, I will wait to hear back from the shop. Thank you.

Chris
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    damocles10 wrote:
    Hi all,

I have just bought a nice pair of Campag Bullet 80 wheels for Campag drivetrain.

2.jpg
    You have been sent wheels that are Shimano, SRAM , and others compatible.

Not what you thought you ordered.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I know what you mean. I've just forked out for a 'new' SCR3.0 frame for an easier position due to a dodgy back, and a brand new pair of Campag zondas...and my back decides to take a little holiday. Got a three quarters built bike sitting in my living room and I can't ride it..not happy :cry:

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • Yes, that's a Shimano free hub... send them back
    left the forum March 2023
  • nicklouse wrote:
    damocles10 wrote:
    Hi all,

I have just bought a nice pair of Campag Bullet 80 wheels for Campag drivetrain.

2.jpg
    You have been sent wheels that are Shimano, SRAM , and others compatible.

Not what you thought you ordered.

Thank you for the clarification. [Edit: thanks ugo.santalucia too]
    Chris
  • I know what you mean. I've just forked out for a 'new' SCR3.0 frame for an easier position due to a dodgy back, and a brand new pair of Campag zondas...and my back decides to take a little holiday. Got a three quarters built bike sitting in my living room and I can't ride it..not happy :cry:

Ahhh! that's annoying...seeing the bike and not being able to ride it. I hope the back clears up soon.

Chris