Giant P-SL1 Wheels - Replacement Freehub Body

rider25
rider25 Posts: 72
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi folks,

Been advised by my local LBS that the freehub body needs replacing on my 2012 Giant P-SL1s. Very disappointed given that they've only done a few hundred miles - symptoms include chain slack and general gritty noise. It's beyond the extent of my knowledge but I trust the diagnosis.

Anyhow, only Giant stockists can source the part and the LBS isn't one (although they've kindly offered to fit it if I can source it). A few questions for those in the know:

- Am I tied to Giant stockists or could I source the part directly? Struggling to locate anywhere, if so.
- Is it even a Giant part or is it DT Swiss?
- Any Giant owners had similar problems?

Essentially, any idea how I can source the part in the speediest and cheapest way?

Ta very much.

Comments

• I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I doubt you will get hold of a spare freehub, one way or the other. If it's still under warranty, they might offer you a replacement.

These are like ready meals, you can't have them without salt or with extra chili... they are what they are and no spares are available normally
    left the forum March 2023
  • I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I doubt you will get hold of a spare freehub, one way or the other. If it's still under warranty, they might offer you a replacement.

These are like ready meals, you can't have them without salt or with extra chili... they are what they are and no spares are available normally

Eek!

It is under warranty so I'll pursue that route. Kind of expecting them to say that it's wear and tear though but after approx. 500 miles it's a pretty poor show.

Maybe a daft question but if I'm unable to source a new freehub body does it render the entire wheel buggered?

Thanks, Ugo.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    rider25 wrote:
    I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I doubt you will get hold of a spare freehub, one way or the other. If it's still under warranty, they might offer you a replacement.

Eek!

It is under warranty so I'll pursue that route. Kind of expecting them to say that it's wear and tear though but after approx. 500 miles it's a pretty poor show.

Maybe a daft question but if I'm unable to source a new freehub body does it render the entire wheel buggered?

Thanks, Ugo.

If you get a decent Giant dealer to pursue the warranty claim on your behalf you might get some joy.

I got a credit against new wheels when my Defy wheels developed a fault and that was at 2500m +
  • Ajkerr73 wrote:
    rider25 wrote:
    I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I doubt you will get hold of a spare freehub, one way or the other. If it's still under warranty, they might offer you a replacement.

Eek!

Thanks, Ugo.

If you get a decent Giant dealer to pursue the warranty claim on your behalf you might get some joy.

I got a credit against new wheels when my Defy wheels developed a fault and that was at 2500m +

Sounds hopeful. So it's the retailer I need to approach as opposed to Giant?

Thank you BTW.
  • retailer yes
  • rider25 wrote:

- Am I tied to Giant stockists or could I source the part directly? Struggling to locate anywhere, if so.

Essentially, any idea how I can source the part in the speediest and cheapest way?

Ignore the previous pessimism about sourcing spare parts, they are readily available.

Giant dealers can get them in with no problem from Giant as they are all service parts that Giant keep.

Your LBS will also be able to source the part (whether they know it or not) as it is a DT Swiss Onyx Style Hub. They will be able to order the freehub from "Madison" and the part number is "HBDT869". You could also just search for a "DT Swiss Onyx Shimano Freehub" on CRC, etc.

Here are just 5 places you can get them from:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/dt-swiss-onyx-freehub-body-shimano-id5351.html
    http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/dt-swiss-onyx-freehub-body-fits-bontrager-.html
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/58/hbdt869/dt-swiss-onyx-freehub-body-shimano.html
    http://www.petracycles.co.uk/dt-swiss-onyx-freehub-body-shimano-p-10306.html
    http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/628/products/dt-swiss-onyx-freehub-body-shimano.aspx

The hubs themselves aren't the best sealed in the world but I would question your LBS at to the exact problem. It's usually just the bearings in the freehub that go (they can be replaced separately). I can't see why the actual freehub body itself would need replacing after so little time, as it's not really a wear and tear item.
  • rider25 wrote:

Ignore the previous pessimism about sourcing spare parts, they are readily available.

Giant dealers can get them in with no problem from Giant as they are all service parts that Giant keep.

Your LBS will also be able to source the part (whether they know it or not) as it is a DT Swiss Onyx Style Hub. They will be able to order the freehub from "Madison" and the part number is "HBDT869". You could also just search for a "DT Swiss Onyx Shimano Freehub" on CRC, etc.

Here are just 5 places you can get them from:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/dt-swiss-onyx-freehub-body-shimano-id5351.html
    http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/dt-swiss-onyx-freehub-body-fits-bontrager-.html
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/58/hbdt869/dt-swiss-onyx-freehub-body-shimano.html
    http://www.petracycles.co.uk/dt-swiss-onyx-freehub-body-shimano-p-10306.html
    http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/628/products/dt-swiss-onyx-freehub-body-shimano.aspx

The hubs themselves aren't the best sealed in the world but I would question your LBS at to the exact problem. It's usually just the bearings in the freehub that go (they can be replaced separately). I can't see why the actual freehub body itself would need replacing after so little time, as it's not really a wear and tear item.

Thank you!

LBS suspected it was a bearings issue before they took a closer look - after which they came to the conclusion it was the freehub body.

A daft question coming up... that's the bit that the cassette sits on, yes?
  • Indeed
  • The problem is, as mentioned earlier and looking at the diagram, the freehub body does not contain the pawls, hence it is hardly the culprit, unless the ratchet ring is completely worn out, which I doubt. If the pawls sit on the axle of the hub (Mavic style), then it is worth opening the thing and see where the problem is. You don't want to spend 35 pounds to order a part which is not necessary
  • Agreed. Like I said before, it's very unlikely to be the actual freehub body itself.

We've had those wheels where the pawl spring has gone (it's tiny and only wraps around the hub/pawls once).

The freehub body is just a large hunk of metal. It's like saying you're hub is making a strange noise after a few hundred miles, and finding out that your hub shell is cracked. It's incredibly unlikely. It's a lot more likely that one of the wear and tear parts has failed like the bearings or the pawl spring, or maybe even the needle bearing.

I've only replaced two of those freehub bodies ever. Once where the customer had been riding it for thousands of miles and the cassette teeth had severely cut into the splines, and one where the customer had been pressure washing the bike, continued to ride it, and the internals of the body were all rusted up. Neither where the fault of the freehub body.

They don't just break. What was the actual issue with the wheels in the first place?
  • Agreed. Like I said before, it's very unlikely to be the actual freehub body itself.

We've had those wheels where the pawl spring has gone (it's tiny and only wraps around the hub/pawls once).

The freehub body is just a large hunk of metal. It's like saying you're hub is making a strange noise after a few hundred miles, and finding out that your hub shell is cracked. It's incredibly unlikely. It's a lot more likely that one of the wear and tear parts has failed like the bearings or the pawl spring, or maybe even the needle bearing.

I've only replaced two of those freehub bodies ever. Once where the customer had been riding it for thousands of miles and the cassette teeth had severely cut into the splines, and one where the customer had been pressure washing the bike, continued to ride it, and the internals of the body were all rusted up. Neither where the fault of the freehub body.

They don't just break. What was the actual issue with the wheels in the first place?

Apologies - speed read the above late yesterday and didn't spot the question at the end.

I noticed that there was chain slack when I rotated the chainrings backwards - as if the freehub was sticking. It'd then free itself once I rotated forwards but would often jump into a different gear. Several miles into a ride the problem stops... until the next ride. There is also a a low level gritty/dirty noise.

When I took it to the LBS they speculated it was a bearings issue. When I went to collect it he suggested that after inspection it was the freehub body. After another conversation (over the phone) where I pointed out it's a DT Swiss Onyx style hub they said that they thought that it wasn't that type of hub and that it wasn't serviceable. Adding that they will take another look at it.

But why tell me to source a freehub body? That itself suggests it's a serviceable hub surely? (Which Giant have also confirmed.)

Will see where I get to later when I go back. Wish I had the confidence and knowhow to take a look myself.

Will update.
  • Most freehubs have all the mechanical parts included in the freehub body, we fear yours is a different type, where the freehub body is only a chunk of aluminium and the relevant mechanical parts sit on the hub axle instead.
    Two different designs to do the same job. Most likely the LBS does not know, as you don't know until you remove it
  • Most freehubs have all the mechanical parts included in the freehub body, we fear yours is a different type, where the freehub body is only a chunk of aluminium and the relevant mechanical parts sit on the hub axle instead.
    Two different designs to do the same job. Most likely the LBS does not know, as you don't know until you remove it

That being the case, it should be serviceable though?
  • rider25 wrote:
    Most freehubs have all the mechanical parts included in the freehub body, we fear yours is a different type, where the freehub body is only a chunk of aluminium and the relevant mechanical parts sit on the hub axle instead.

That being the case, it should be serviceable though?

Yes
  • Just back from the LBS. It seems it was a case of misdiagnosis and now recognises that it's an Onyx style hub. Stripped it down while I was there and talked me through what they need to do. Bearings on the drive side sounded gritty.

The scary thing is the lengths (or lack of them) they went to to "diagnose" the problem in the first place.

Still frustrating that it's happened after so few miles.

Thanks all for your input - the silver lining being I now know a little bit more than I did at the outset!