Stiff B/B

rob.m
rob.m Posts: 89
edited February 2014 in Workshop
My road bikes been stored all winter as I've been running instead of cycling, I gave it a quick check last night with a view to riding only to discover that the cranks are quite hard to turn. It feels almost as if the B/B's seizing up, I've had no previous problems, do you think it can be fixed or is a replacement needed?
It's never too late to become what you might have been...........

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is this with the chain on? ie could it be the chain's rusted over winter? If it's still stiff to rotate without the chain then it can only be the BB really. If it's suffered from water ingress and then left to go rusty then I suspect you'll need to replace the bearings / whole Bb depending on type.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Lube the chain, ride it round and see if it's just from sitting for a while.
  • rob.m
    Thanks for the advice guy's, dropped the chain off and the cranks spin nice and free. Chain was stiff but not rusty, as far as I could tell. Free'd it up with some wd40 (the chain) all seems good now. :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you haven't already done so, now apply some lube to the chain. Doesn't need to be anything fancy; I use 3-in-1 oil from Wilkos. Apply one drop to each pin and spin the pedals backwards to work it in, then wipe off any excess so it doesn't attract dirt.
  • rob.m
    Will do Keef, chains not rusty which is a bonus. Think the lube I had on there must have solidified through lack of use. I used muck off wet lube btw.