iPhone4s - Heart Rate Monitor

mrbrightside
mrbrightside Posts: 214
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Can anyone recommend or have any comments with reference to a heart rate monitor compatible with an iPhone/Strava, or in addition a cadence sensor if possible.

I dont think i'm ready to take the plunge with a Garmin bundle just yet and it’s worth noting that i'm not a massive fan of bar mounted computers as i get transfixed with looking at the thing as opposed to the countryside if that makes sense, more so whilst battling a headwind.

Comments

• Take a look here : http://uk.wahoofitness.com/
  • Hi Mr Brightside. I share your feelings about bar mounted computers. I also find that I loose all the data when the battery needs changing! But tell me this, why do you want a heart rate monitor?

I realise I'm displaying my great ignorance of such matters but when I put my body under stress I tend to feel it and when I go from red to purple and feel I might burst, I ease off.
  • if your just planning on leaving your phone in your pocket then what is the point of having a heart rate monitor or cadence sensor, seems pointless to me??
  • Just for added data when reviewing rides etc..
  • neilvx
    neilvx Posts: 137
    I have just ordered the Wahoo Blue SC to work with my iphone 5 and Strava etc. I also want to log my time on the turbo trainer and see how I am doing.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 27.5 2017 Grey / Yellow Flash
    Ribble R872 Ultegra
    Skyway BMX
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I use 4iiii

You can start with their bluetooth/ant+ hrm Viiiiva which deals direct with iphone and Strava.

They also do a cadence/speed sensor that is Ant+, Riiiide

If you then start to look at working with HR or power you get their HUD unit, Sportiiiis and can see/hear everything easily, including how you are performing on your favourite Strava segments.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    if its just for reviewing HR after rides - I'd not bother.

You could buy a HRM for cheaper than the accessories and be able to see it when you're riding. That would be more useful for staying within your zones etc.
  • +1 on the previous. By the time you see the data it's not much use to you because you can't refer to it on your next ride because you won't be able to see it. When I first started using heart rate I bought a cheap wrist watch type for about £15 from tesco, only problem is I had a cheap computer that seemed to use the same frequency so each time my heart beated my comp thought the wheel had done a rotation.
  • neilvx
    I received my Wahoo blue SC and it works treat, really impressed with it. So much so I now want the Wahoo RFLKT for the he bike and a Polar heart rate monitor (Wahoo ones is rubbish by reviews).
    Ribble R872 Ultegra
    Skyway BMX
  • Neilvx wrote:
    I received my Wahoo blue SC and it works treat, really impressed with it. So much so I now want the Wahoo RFLKT for the he bike and a Polar heart rate monitor (Wahoo ones is rubbish by reviews).

What reviews say the Wahoo BlueHR is rubbish? I've had one for a year or two and it's excellent. DC Rainmaker rated it highly.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/01/waho ... h-low.html
  • Hi Mr Brightside. I share your feelings about bar mounted computers. I also find that I loose all the data when the battery needs changing! But tell me this, why do you want a heart rate monitor?

I realise I'm displaying my great ignorance of such matters but when I put my body under stress I tend to feel it and when I go from red to purple and feel I might burst, I ease off.

It depends how scientific/organized you want to be about training. If your approach is to push yourself until you nearly burst and then ease off, that's fine (until one day you do actually burst). If you want to keep within certain HR zones, then you will need a HRM. If that's the case, you'll surely also want to be able to see it while you're riding.

If you upload the data to Strava or Garmin Connect, you won't lose it, though most devices will keep the data anyway.

Not sure that having a bar-mounted computer distracts you from the surroundings. I don't find that to be the case. I have a Garmin 500, and think it is great.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • shmooster wrote:
    What reviews say the Wahoo BlueHR is rubbish? I've had one for a year or two and it's excellent. DC Rainmaker rated it highly.l

I used my BlueHR twice, worked fine. The third ride it paired but was showing 0 bpm. Now it won't pair at all. Changed the battery and it paired once, but then won't pair again. So not sure what to do with it except send it back.
  • shmooster wrote:
    What reviews say the Wahoo BlueHR is rubbish? I've had one for a year or two and it's excellent. DC Rainmaker rated it highly.l

I used my BlueHR twice, worked fine. The third ride it paired but was showing 0 bpm. Now it won't pair at all. Changed the battery and it paired once, but then won't pair again. So not sure what to do with it except send it back.

I found when it didn't pair it was the iPhone rather than the BlueHR. Hard reboot (hold home and the top button for 10 secs) always fixed it. Have to do that once every few months.
  • neilvx
    shmooster wrote:
    Neilvx wrote:

What reviews say the Wahoo BlueHR is rubbish? I've had one for a year or two and it's excellent. DC Rainmaker rated it highly.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/01/waho ... h-low.html

It was random surfing while I was looking, I always like to keep kit the same but read a couple of issues where they stopped working after a couple of months. The Garmin one seems to be the worst.
    Ribble R872 Ultegra
    Skyway BMX