Planet X Rims?

ollie51
ollie51 Posts: 517
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Had a little play with the search function, but had no success, so:

Does anyone know the width of these rims, and if the decals are removable?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/RIPXCAR50/ ... on-r50-rim

or these:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/RIPX50C/pl ... carbon-rim

Thanks!

Comments

• 19-20 mm fit 21-23 mm tubular well

The plain ones only have a warning sticker that you can remove, the others I THINK are laquered over
    left the forum March 2023
  • ollie51
    19-20 mm fit 21-23 mm tubular well

The plain ones only have a warning sticker that you can remove, the others I THINK are laquered over
    you are correct 'Lazer cut graphics under lacquer finish'!

I assume that's the external width, so they're not overly wide?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've got some of their Team Guru rims, with big white flowers laquered on, no getting them off. I'm not sure if I like them or not, but it keeps me riding fast to minimise the opportunity for anyone else to see that I've big flowers on my wheels.
  • ollie51 wrote:

They are tubulars, there is no such a thing as an internal width.... yes, they are about 19-20 mm wide in total

You know they take internal nipples don't you? Building with internal nipples is not easy....
  • ollie51
    ollie51 wrote:

They are tubulars, there is no such a thing as an internal width.... yes, they are about 19-20 mm wide in total

You know they take internal nipples don't you? Building with internal nipples is not easy....

I meant as opposed to rim profile... sometime people refer to width of the widest part of the rim, which can be way below the brake track.

I'm well aware internal nipples are difficult, but by no means impossible.
  • ollie51 wrote:
    ollie51 wrote:

I meant as opposed to rim profile... sometime people refer to width of the widest part of the rim, which can be way below the brake track.

Not impossible, but you have to be extremely careful. Obviously Planet X won't sell you any internal nipple either. CRC have the square inverted ones, which are more difficult to build with, otherwise you can try to source the 5 mm hexagonal barrels, which are a bit more user friendly.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 wrote:
    ollie51 wrote:

Not impossible, but you have to be extremely careful. Obviously Planet X won't sell you any internal nipple either. CRC have the square inverted ones, which are more difficult to build with, otherwise you can try to source the 5 mm hexagonal barrels, which are a bit more user friendly.

I can get hold of them and I've got someone who's done a few internal nipple wheels before to build them for me, should I go for those.