Re-rim Cosmic Elite w Kinlin XR300 ?

andy_wrx
andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I have a front Cosmic Elite which is worn-down on the brake surface.

Anybody got any thoughts on re-rimming it with a Kinlin XR300 rim ? Hub and spokes are fine.

Both are 30mm, the Cosmic measures the same as Kinlin's ERD of 577 with my tapemeasure.

20hole straight-pull - doesn't seem too hard ?

And got any recommendations as to where I could source some from in the UK ?

thanks

Comments

• Yeah, why not... for the Kinlin XR 300 try www.sdeals.com
    left the forum March 2023
  • andy_wrx
    thanks.

aargh : sdeals has a min qty of 2 on rims, but I only want one !
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Worth ringing them, they seem like friendly types.
  • Yeah, but you can't really talk at the phone... you can try... but John might start talking to you for half an hour... :lol:

Not worth getting the rear too? It will go... just a matter of time
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have a rim I always do.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • andy_wrx
    thanks all.

I've found a Halo cheapest - same rim and I'll be removing the stickers anyway :o)
  • Yep, forgot about those... Halo Mercury is Kinlin XR 300
  • That's interesting, so it means that I can replace the rims of my Ksyrium Elites when I find out the ERD and use any rim with the same ERD? Is there a margin of error on this?

I like these wheels a lot but the brake surface has worn quite a bit and I understand that Mavic replacement rings are ridiculously expensive.
  • raymond82 wrote:
    That's interesting, so it means that I can replace the rims of my Ksyrium Elites when I find out the ERD and use any rim with the same ERD? Is there a margin of error on this?

I like these wheels a lot but the brake surface has worn quite a bit and I understand that Mavic replacement rings are ridiculously expensive.

That's less easy... finding shallow rims with 16 spokes can be a challenge
  • raymond82 wrote:
    That's interesting, so it means that I can replace the rims of my Ksyrium Elites when I find out the ERD and use any rim with the same ERD? Is there a margin of error on this?

That's less easy... finding shallow rims with 16 spokes can be a challenge

Hmm... I'll look around if I can find something, the wheels look great and somehow the low spoke count and wide spokes appeal to me a lot but they're not the stiffest and most practical wheels I've noticed...
  • majormantra
    Ksyriums also use proprietary spokes, so you won't be able to re-use them with a standard rim.
  • Ksyriums also use proprietary spokes, so you won't be able to re-use them with a standard rim.

That's it then... Next time I'll get myself some hand built ones!
  • caad8
    caad8 Posts: 51
    Ksyriums also use proprietary spokes, so you won't be able to re-use them with a standard rim.

As the Comic Elites also use proprietary spokes, does this mean it cannot be re-rimmed with another make? Is this due to the nipple size? I was planning to replace a rear Cosmic Elite with a Deep V or similar, but not having the two together I cannot make the call whether it would work on the spoke front. I might have a hub and 20 spokes going if this doesnt work!
  • majormantra
    It depends if the spokes have standard ends. I think they might with the Cosmics, but in the case of the Ksyriums they use a proprietary nipple that threads into the rim and which holds the end of the proprietary spokes.
  • caad8 wrote:

As the Comic Elites also use proprietary spokes, does this mean it cannot be re-rimmed with another make? Is this due to the nipple size? I was planning to replace a rear Cosmic Elite with a Deep V or similar, but not having the two together I cannot make the call whether it would work on the spoke front. I might have a hub and 20 spokes going if this doesnt work!

The Cosmic Elite still use conventional nipples and not the screw on used in the Ksyrium elite...
  • caad8
    OK I didn't realise the Ksyriums used fancy nipples. The Cosmic appear to use 'standard' spokes ie they fit the red Spokey but I'll confirm with the vernier. Cheers!
  • caad8
    ugo - you posted as I was typing - thanks for confirming
  • andy_wrx
    Yeah, that's what I'm planning.

When the Halo Mercury (aka Kinlin XR300 and IRD Cadence Aero from what I've read) rim arrives I guess I can confirm whether it works or not, but whilst the Cosmics use proprietary Mavic straight-pull spokes at the hub end, they're conventional nipples at the rim and as they're 30mm rims with ERD about the same I'm hoping it'll work.

My Cosmic is mid-00's, with the blue&white Mavic rim decals, but should be same with any of the later ones too I'm sure
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    Yeah, that's what I'm planning.

When the Halo Mercury (aka Kinlin XR300 and IRD Cadence Aero from what I've read) rim arrives I guess I can confirm whether it works or not, but whilst the Cosmics use proprietary Mavic straight-pull spokes at the hub end, they're conventional nipples at the rim and as they're 30mm rims with ERD about the same I'm hoping it'll work.

Yes, please a follow up on this would be good