European championships

raymond82
raymond82 Posts: 330
edited February 2014 in Pro race
Interesting development:

http://www.uec.ch/component/k2/item/242 ... egory.html

The World Championship I think is one of the most interesting races of the year and the European one might be pretty similar, a quick look at wikipedia showed that since 1980 the WC was won by a non-European only 4 times...

Comments

• mroli wrote:
    So is there any point?

I'd say no, other than that it's another interesting race to watch. It will be interesting to see when in the season it will be held and if the riders take interest.
  • There's been a Euro RR and TT champs for a good few years now but for U23 and junior riders. I this a proposal for senior riders? Bit pointless IMO.
  • raymond82 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    So is there any point?

I'd say no, other than that it's another interesting race to watch. It will be interesting to see when in the season it will be held and if the riders take interest.

I agree with Raymond82. Lots of sports have Euro champs but they get overlooked in favour of WC's and sometimes the best europeans don't turn out. I'm all for an extra couple of races at this level and I'm sure someone will relish wearing the blue jersey with gold stars but it might take some time for the race to acquire some kudos
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, this is primarily an exercise in trying to promote the ambitions of the UEC for power and influence

(sorry, Victor Meldrew moment there)
  • ^Oh you're such a cynic RR. 8)
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ^Oh you're such a cynic RR. 8)

Bwhahahahahahah

:)
  • This will be as popular as the ProTour i.e. the winner will be happy to win, everyone else will be p***ed off they lost
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    While this is clearly David Lappartient making overtures towards being Cookson successor (firing back at Tracy Gaudry getting a Women's race on the Champs Elysees)...

..I would like such a race. And jerseys to match...

..as long as we get rid of one of my pet hates - national championship jerseys. Champion of Europe, Africa, Asia - fair enough, have a jersey. Champion of Hungary? I don't give a sh!t.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Sorry Rich, your wrong here. Bodrogi deserved all those jerseys. Anyway, you're unlikely to see the Hungarian jersey unless Team Fixit get to the Arctic Tour (I will have my fingers crossed for them).

Champion of America/North America. Champion of Europe - pah.
  • RichN95.
    Sorry Rich, your wrong here. Bodrogi deserved all those jerseys. Anyway, you're unlikely to see the Hungarian jersey unless Team Fixit get to the Arctic Tour (I will have my fingers crossed for them).
    Didn't he become French four or five years ago?
  • I think he did. Retired a year or so ago. New champ for Hungary is some other deserving Hungarian :)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    While this is clearly David Lappartient making overtures towards being Cookson successor (firing back at Tracy Gaudry getting a Women's race on the Champs Elysees)...

..as long as we get rid of one of my pet hates - national championship jerseys. Champion of Europe, Africa, Asia - fair enough, have a jersey. Champion of Hungary? I don't give a sh!t.

Thankfully the majority has a different opinion on that matter.
  • RichN95.
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Do they? (i would suggest that the majority also don't give a sh!t)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Of course they do. Go on.. Go on suggesting to cut out the national jerseys on the various forums. You wouldn't get much backing.
  • ^you keep your mitts off the National champs, Rich.

I likes them. And many of them have a fine history, and have some definite meaning for those competing for the right to wear the jersey.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Do they? (i would suggest that the majority also don't give a sh!t)

You've already had two or three people posting against your idea in this thread. I love the NC jerseys.