Dirts worst 15 MTB Products

13»

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Am I imagining it or did Ritchey release a steel 'hardtail' in the mid-90s with some sort of suspension in the seatstays but relied on the chainstays flexing?

The soft tail They were awesome bikes I lusted after one but no one would buy a kidney off me

3980954395_97e5b93ded_o.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How about an Allsop beam?

IMG_1795.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    supersonic wrote:
    How about an Allsop beam?

Is that what some blokes get when watching Location Location Location?
  • stubs wrote:
    Am I imagining it or did Ritchey release a steel 'hardtail' in the mid-90s with some sort of suspension in the seatstays but relied on the chainstays flexing?

The soft tail They were awesome bikes I lusted after one but no one would buy a kidney off me

3980954395_97e5b93ded_o.jpg

That's the one.

I wonder how long the chainstays lasted for?
    Giant Trance 3 '08
    Kona Lava Dome '96
    Giant Alliance '08
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    slime inner tubes not on the list?

What don't you like about slime inner tubes?

I know they are a bit heavier, but a mate of mine has been using them very successfuly for the last couple of years. I'm just about to give up on tubeless and give them a go.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • How do you know they are any more successful for him?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Loads of people did them in various materials, popular when XC FS bikes were bouncy and heavy.

Carbon Trek STP, they actually had a shock:
    21024d1088653797-new-softtail-single-speed-trek-stp-1.jpg

Ti Moots YBB:
    2007-Moots-YBB.jpg

I very nearly got an STP like the one up there, 2001, they were decently light, and got 70mm of travel IIRC. £1300 for a frame, £3200 for the complete bike with full XTR, those were the days!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited February 2014
    One on top here is pretty odd too.

Ibis Bow Ti

32200_405581783773_425694_n.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Better pic

40.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Techie pic

46319d1104033026-1997-ibis-bow-ti-mag-reviews-2-ibis-2.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 2010/11 Orbea carbon framed FS had flex chain stays and a linkage driven shock.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And the Cannondale Scapel. But they all have some sort of 'proper' pivot somewhere, softails, and the Bow Ti don't.

Incidentally a good condition Bow Ti is worth an absolute fortune now! Sadly they virtually all broke!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Orbea had no pivot between front triangle and the dropouts.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I like the list
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:
    And the Cannondale Scapel. But they all have some sort of 'proper' pivot somewhere, softails, and the Bow Ti don't.

Incidentally a good condition Bow Ti is worth an absolute fortune now! Sadly they virtually all broke!

Yep, the guy who owns the Bow Ti in my first pic is fairly comfortably off - he has a bit of a stable. My £34 Ebay Rockhopper is directly underneath, for comparison. I am obviously very poor.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    How do you know they are any more successful for him?
    Because I ride with him at least once a week and he never gets punctures. I've also witnessed them doing their thing after he has pulled a thorn out of his tyre.

To be honest, I've had more issues while running tubeless while riding with him than he has had using slime tubes. He has had zero problems that have required attention, I've had two tyre holes that Stan's gloop couldn't seal.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets