Cycling safety

tavyabe
tavyabe Posts: 283
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

I've tried to get my misses into cycling but its not really worked. One of the hurdles is that she is terrified of riding on the roads (even if it is just a short ride in order to get to the forest). So my question is what can I do / buy to make her more comfortable with it?

I seem to remember years ago having a bike with a reflective arm at the back that stuck out into the road and made cars give you more space - does anyone know what I would need to google to find such a thing? Any other tips and suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    tavyabe wrote:
    Hi all

I've tried to get my misses into cycling but its not really worked. One of the hurdles is that she is terrified of riding on the roads (even if it is just a short ride in order to get to the forest). So my question is what can I do / buy to make her more comfortable with it?

I seem to remember years ago having a bike with a reflective arm at the back that stuck out into the road and made cars give you more space - does anyone know what I would need to google to find such a thing? Any other tips and suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I hate riding on the road and I'm a reasonably capable rider! I doubt there's much that can make her less scared of cars flying past her at 30 to 60 mph tbh!!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I think its something you just get used to - that's certainly the case with my commute. That said, you want to be seen anyway; Hi Viz clothing and / or leds on anytime of day maybe.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • What Kev says. Some cars zip by far too close and going far too fast because the drivers a nob, and no amount of high viz, lights or plastic arms are going to change that I'm afraid. That said most drivers are fine, and it's just something you have to get used too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1 Drive.
    or
    2 Ride on the pavement.
    or
    3 Ride behind her and block the traffic, like a gentleman.

Not joking about the last one. I ride with groups of kids and often take up lots of road to slow/warn the traffic behind.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I ride on the road a fair bit commuting, I also ride on the roads in India, here is much worse than India due to the speeds.

Hi Vis, choose the on road sections carefully and as CD says, ride blocker behind.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,701
    Avoid those silly reflectors on an arm that stick out to the side. A friend of my sister once got one because she thought it was a good idea. She soon took it off as she realised cars were passing closer, she thinks they saw the reflector as a target and were trying to hit it.
    What Cooldad said, ride behind her and a bit further out. I do the same if out with my kids.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cooldad wrote:
    3 Ride behind her and block the traffic, like a gentleman.

Not joking about the last one. I ride with groups of kids and often take up lots of road to slow/warn the traffic behind.

^ This one. That's what I do when out with my 8 year old. I ride at the back and ride quite wide so that she gets an extra wide berth after they've passed me. It won't stop the more determined morons but it will give her a touch more space.

Also, drive to the forrest and let her ride there for a number of months so that she gets her confidence up on the bike before taking to the road. Once she feels in control going on the road will be much less scary.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607