Gilet

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Any recommendations?

Under £40?

Cheers

Comments

• I have an Altura Etape which has been really good, downside is it has no pockets but the plus side is that it has a mesh back. It's the only one I've ever had so can't compare to others but if you can pick one up from Evans at their sale price then it's a bargain. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/alt ... 050#select
  • Gore AS is about £50
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • The Altura one is very cheap but hard to find sizes.

If I may piggyback, rather than hijack, is there a good gilet that can be worn under a jacket. My Altura does all the wind and waterproofing I need, but a bit more core warmth would help sometimes.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Are you looking for a shell type or one with with a little more insulation?

For £40 and a shell then I'd recommend the Mavic Espoir for something a little more substantial then the Mavic HC vest but that's more than £40 - closer to £65.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    edited February 2014
    Lightweight, Sportful Hotpack which I can't really fault, very light but warm and showerproof, packs up really small.
    Heavyweight, Endura windchill.

P.S I had the Etape before the Sportful Hotpack, the fit wasn't as good and the zip failed after about 2 months but apart from that it was fine, I was probably just unlucky with the zip.
  • I have an Altura Etape. I only use it for commuting due the lack of a rear pocket and a weird fit - fine in the chest, way too big in the waist.

I use a Decathlon one at the minute - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/windproof-ve ... 21240.html. Great fit, the stretchy material at the sides allows you to wear a smaller size comfortably. Slightly cheaper material than the Altura but still looks good. And it's a tenner.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Lusso or DHB - both good. There ain't much to a gilet really, so it's not hard to find a good (ie adequate) one....
  • I’ve tried a few over the years but my current favourite is the Louis Garneau Speedzone Gilet which is on sale at Evans. OK it’s closer to 50 than 40 but IMO it’s a game changer:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lou ... t-ec045927

Race fit so no flapping.
    Big cut out at the back so you can access your jersey pockets – and as there’s already a double layer of material on your jersey thanks to said pockets this also keeps the temp regulated i.e. no sweaty back.
    The material is more suitable for the UK climate – not super light and not thermal – just right.
    A little side pocket for empty food wrappers.
    Plenty of reflective areas while still looking very cool.
    Europcar use them as team issue.
  • mcowan77
    mcowan77 Posts: 560
    Cheers

I've reserved an adidas response one at halfords...I'll see what it's like and let you know