Which hybrid bike £500-£650

Zomers
Zomers Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked a many times but I need help deciding which bike to buy. I cycle a mixture of canal path (can get very muddy)and road to get to work, but also looking to have a cycle holiday so probably need to change tyres. Seems to be between Cannondale, Specialized and Trek although Whyte has been mentioned. I'm purchasing through cyclescheme so unable to purchase Boardman. Budget is between £500 & £650 so any advice appreciated as each have their pluses. Thanks in advance

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are the road rides long? I'd be tempted by a mountain bike as are versatile beasts.
  • It's a split of about 7 miles road and 3 miles canal path
  • Then a hybrid or CX would be ideal, as you'd want to opimise for road, the for the canal path it depends on it's condition, often you can get away with a road bike, but often not.

I would say look at the Trek FX 7.4 / 7. 4 Disc, but it's worth seeing if your budget could stretch to a cyclocross bike which would be ideal.
  • Thanks for that suggestion which has now made things even more complicated. Do you have any suggestions of brand as in my area there are a limited number of cyclescheme members so it would help narrow things down.
  • Well one of the cheapest CX around is the Boardman CX which is well regarded, but you say you can't do Boardman; but most brands have a CX in their stable, it's just that they'll be at the top end of the budget you're looking at.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    I would consider a bike with frame clearances for full mudguards and 28/32/35mm wide tyres if your route takes you on a muddy canal towpath. My commuting bike is a hardtail rigid forked MTB with 26" x 1.5" tyres and full mudguards. I also use a combination of road and canal towpath and find that both I and the bike stay relatively clean.
  • I have a specialized sirrus comp which is a bit out of your price range (cost me £800 but as it was a 2013 model it may be in the sales for less). I love riding it and I'd say it would suit your needs. There is easily enough clearance for full mudguards and although the stock tyres may not be good for canal towpaths you could switch them out for something more suitable. It comes with 28mm tyres but reckon you could get 32+mm on there (but you should check the rim width as I'm not totally sure).

The bike is surprisingly light and very comfortable to ride and when on smooth tarmac it can go pretty fast! Also there's room for a rear rack so no need to lug your kit on your back every day.
  • Just visited a couple of shops to look at various bikes. Looks like Trex 7.4 is the winner. Thanks for input.