Mudguards for my TriCross

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited February 2014 in Cyclocross
Baffled by the options, I want guards for my TriCross so it can be used as a winter/commuter/mud bike, and I can have my road bike left for better days.

The Tricross has all the fittings, the current tyres are Grifo Pro Tyres 700x32, with the occasional use of 38c winter tyres.

I want something durable enough to take some off road knocks, but easy enough to take off when the weather improves.

Will 45mm be about right? Looking at SKS.

Comments

• Kimble
    Kimble Posts: 53
    Yep i can recommend the sks clip on's on my CX as a commuter.

I race my cx bike some weekends and fancy taking the mudguards off in summer easily. also being able to take off the mudguards quickly is v handy if putting the bike in the boot.

I have the sks velo 42 urban which i generally use with 25mm gatorskins, I haven't tried them with the cx's knobblies but there is buckets of clearence it being a cx bike. I haven't bothered getting the optional attachments to fix to bottom of mudguards to hold them further in place as in practice they don't move round much at all. for reference, I also have sks p35's on another bike which are fantastic but a very different beast as they are absolutely rock solid. Surprisingly i didn't mind the difference in strength / comprehensiveness of fittings that the p35's have and find the single fixing points to be really solid for the front and rear.
  • The SKS Clips are those kind of half length guards, or are you talking about the long version (pricey!)? I will look at the others.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Only problem I can see with those clipons is that the rear guard doesn't appear to reach the bottom bracket.
  • SKS Chromoplastic Black and get the 45mm options. I have these on my Tricross and they cover everything brilliantly.

It's not a 5 minute job to remove them but I turned the hole by the bottom bracket into a slot to make things easier (that bit is the bit that takes the most time)

They cover everything and are bulletproof.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    SKS Chromoplastic Black and get the 45mm options. I have these on my Tricross and they cover everything brilliantly.

It's not a 5 minute job to remove them but I turned the hole by the bottom bracket into a slot to make things easier (that bit is the bit that takes the most time)

These are the ones I'm getting for mine when my Halfrods ones bite the dust (not long now)
  • I have compromised and gone for the SKS Velo 42 Urban Clip-On Mudguard Set - cheap, and should be that little bit easier on/off when the seasons change. I appreciated the won't be as effective as proper "full" guards.
  • Fitted to night, I like the design, simple! Very little clearance at the front with my fork, hanger, bracket, tyre combination! Commute tomorrow should prove if they are effective or not!
  • Kimble
    Kimble Posts: 53
    well done. Really pleased with mine as they are easy on/ off and do a very good job for pence! seriously handy when it comes to putting d bike in the car too. I have buckets of clearance with mine but think you're nearly better off without too much as it reduces spray thrown forward....
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    SKS Chromoplastic Black and get the 45mm options. I have these on my Tricross and they cover everything brilliantly.

I used the Chromoplastics on mine too. They work very well but not ideal for quick fitting and removal. I put them on in autumn and take them off in spring.
  • Kimble wrote:
    well done. Really pleased with mine as they are easy on/ off and do a very good job for pence! seriously handy when it comes to putting d bike in the car too. I have buckets of clearance with mine but think you're nearly better off without too much as it reduces spray thrown forward....

I am impressed so far, the ease of fitting (stays not needed), quality and price are all in its favor.

They are lacking protection near the bottom bracket, I may do something about this with some sort of retro fit.

Front end clearance is just about OK, I think I have a problem due to the fork (Kinesis CX), cantilever bracket thing (that goes under the fork) and chunky studded tryes, clearance will fine with semi slicks.