Tyre delivery concerns

Helmet1982
Helmet1982 Posts: 9
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
Hi,

Having become really sick of near-constant punctures, I ordered some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres from wiggle (700x38) and they were delivered today. The thing is, they look like they've been transported at the bottom of a very heavy pile. They arrived in just a thin plastic postal envelope, no box or anything and they're all bent out of shape. Does anybody know if this is a problem? Should I send them back or will they be fine when they're fitted and under pressure? The beads don't seem to be broken but it's hard to tell. Has anybody experienced this kind of thing before?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Last time I ordered wire bead tyres they came in a box. TBH I think you should send them back as the wire bead may be bent, better to go with folding tyres, easier to fit and change tubes.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Wire bead tyres do not come in boxes. The box would be too big.

They tend to be folded up into a 8ish shape. Yours sound like normal delivery conditions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes, iirc they were in a figure 8, but in a box not a bag.

If the bead is smooth and not kinked you should be OK to use them.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I first ordered some 700x35 SMP's, if I remember they came folded up somewhat, and I had no problems.
    A while later I made the wise decision to go for the same tyre but in 28's - best decision ever. And to my amazement, they came boxed. Pretty sure that was wiggle.
  • Thanks for the advice. The tyres weren't folded into a figure of eight, just laid flat underneath what seems to be a huge pile of rocks. They're very miss shaped. I think I'll take the tyres and bike into London Bike Kitchen soon and get someone to cast an eye over them.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Someone probably realised they were Marathon Pluses so decided to try to destroy them out of sympathy to you. Predictably, they failed. It would take more than a box of rocks (sadly!) to destroy a Marathon Plus. I suspect they are fine.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Someone probably realised they were Marathon Pluses so decided to try to destroy them out of sympathy to you. Predictably, they failed. It would take more than a box of rocks (sadly!) to destroy a Marathon Plus. I suspect they are fine.

!!
    boooooo