"Aft"ward cleat position (Speedplay)

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,671
edited February 2014 in Road general
Evening all

I recently upgraded my pedal/shoe combo to a Mavic/look keo combination which is outstanding except that I can't get the cleats far enough back in the shoe at all. The shoe is comfortable ( a road first for me) so i'd like to stick with it but the pedal is just in the wrong place.

I ve seen it wrote that speedplay offer a lot more for/aft adjustment so was thinking of getting a pair and trying to flog the nearly new Keos. Would this fit with other peoples experiences too?

Thanks
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• I don't have Look/Keos so can't make a direct comparison on how much there is but for three hole shoes and Speedplays you use the supplied adaptors plates which allow fore-aft adjustment. For four hole shoes the fore aft adjustment comes from the holes on the sole cause you don't need the adaptor plates but for carbon soles you need a protector plate
    http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... henextstep.

There is also an extender kit

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... +PLATE+KIT

which gives and extra 14mm rearwards.

Loads of video guides here http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... ltimatefit
  • ddraver
    cheers - do the pedals come with the protector plate?
    - @ddraver
  • No pedals come with cleats and the normal 3-4 hole adaptor plate if you need either the four hole carbon sole protector plate or the aft extender kit you have to buy them seperately.
  • ddraver
    oh ok - well I ve ordered the extender kit and I have 3 hole shoes anyway so all good!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    oh ok - well I ve ordered the extender kit and I have 3 hole shoes anyway so all good!

Ahh you'll be fine then cause the adaptor plate will protect your soles.
  • Thinking about getting a set of speedplays and the extender as well.

Spent the Winter so far on flats on the MTB and notched up about 1500kms the last 2 months, had purposely moved my foot position on the flats to a mid foot position as i heard that would engage the glutes and hamstrings more, I definitely feel stronger on the MTB, short sprints and endurance.

Went out on the road bike yesterday and the cleat position makes me feel like i'm balancing on tippy toes (and they are already set all the way back Giro Transfer shoes SPD-SL).

This has the downside of putting too much strain on my knee which I fractured last August, so thinking about moving to a more mid foot position, are there any other adjustments you would try first before splashing the cash?

Sorry to hijack.
  • ddraver
    I switched the Keo cleats onto my old Northwave shoes (which are a size too small) last night just for an experiment for todays commute and the position was better. So some shoe manufacturers are better than others. however - according to my google-fu, Giro are supposed to be one of the better shoes for aft cleat positions.

Why manufacturers allow further aft cleat position on MTB shoes is a mystery to me - My Mavic MTB shoes are fine...
    - @ddraver