Chainring Diagnosis Opinions Wanted

Bazzowmb
Bazzowmb Posts: 227
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Just lately I have dropped the chain a couple of times when moving to the big ring on the cassette when on my large chainring (I no I shouldn't be doing that but don't often use the small ring unless I really have too!).

I've also noticed a few times a strange sensation as if the chain is slipping a tooth - hope that makes sense.

This is the original chainring (Sept 2010) on which I must have done 6000 miles plus.

Pondering the above I coming to the conclusion that my large chainring may need changing - is this a fair diagnosis?

I've looked at it but nothing leaps out at me to indicate it's worn (hooked teeth etc). However I've replaced chainrings on my MTB before, where they haven't looked worn but which seemed to do the trick.

I've got a Sram chainset but am guessing their own replacement will be unduly expensive - any suggestions for a good quality replacement part?

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    How old are your chain and cassette? Have you checked for chain wear?

6000 miles on a chainring isn't much, but if you're not using your gears properly and cross chaining all the time, then you're not going to do your drive train much good. Stop cross chaining, just use the other ring, it's there for when you need a lower gear.