Repairing Paint work

woo1
woo1 Posts: 51
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Whilst cycling at the weekend my spoke reflector decided to snap and chipped ( 5p size )the paint work off my fork. Its gone down to the metal, but there does seem to be a clear coating over the metal.

I've got a black Cannondale CAAD10.

Any recommendations for repair ? Touch up paint ? tape ?

Thanks

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Asked this recently of some people as my saddle bag seems to have rubbed a load of paint from my seat post. Someone suggested a car paint pen, yet to try it though (and my bike is white so should be fairly easy).
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you have a CAAD 10 then I think the fork is carbon fibre. I'd just get a car touch up pen and fill in the chip then when dry add a clear coat layer. Some touch up kits have paint one end and clearcoat the other.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    sa0u823e wrote:
    and my bike is white so should be fairly easy).

Lol - you think so?! You may be in for an unpleasant surprise. There are all sorts of white out there - finding the right one might be harder than you think!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • woo1
    woo1 Posts: 51
    keef66 wrote:
    If you have a CAAD 10 then I think the fork is carbon fibre. I'd just get a car touch up pen and fill in the chip then when dry add a clear coat layer. Some touch up kits have paint one end and clearcoat the other.

Fork is carbon fibre, thanks for your help.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    sa0u823e wrote:
    and my bike is white so should be fairly easy).

Lol - you think so?! You may be in for an unpleasant surprise. There are all sorts of white out there - finding the right one might be harder than you think!

Beat me to it Rolf-you are about to discover how many different whites there are-make sure you do your colour matching in good natural light
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Sand lightly and get the forks down to nude carbon, protect with aero 303.

They will look awesome and you will never ever have to worry about scratches again