Wheelset Advice...

AshWalton14
AshWalton14 Posts: 9
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm currently running a 2013 Boardman Team Carbon with Mavic Cosmic 35mm wheels. I have a spare set of Mavic Askium rims (that came standard on the bike) hanging in the garage. My plan is to build up the Askiums (cassette, tubes, tires etc) so they are my 'lighter' alternative wheels for climbing and selling the Mavic Cosmics to be replaced by something deeper (50/60mm). I reckon I have about £450/£500 to spend on a new wheelset. I have got my eye on either some Planet X Pro Carbon or Shimano RS80's. Any advice would be massively appreciated! Thanks
It's not who I am underneath... But what I do that defines me

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you are looking to build up a set of lightweight wheels, then Aksium rims are probably not a good place to start, tbh...
  • Can't comment on your choice. Although Planet X are a good UK company with great customer service. So I am sure when you wear out the rim from breaking they will replace it at a reasonable cost. But I'd ask them first what that cost will be and go from there.

Other than that I'd google or search on here the various hand built guys. DCR, Wheelsmith etc etc. For your price you can get a decent hub, a good lightweight Rim and industry standard spokes (Sapim) you can then replace at a relatively small price when you wear them out.

Personally for me:
    Novatech hub (there are better)
    H plus Son rim
    Sapim laser spokes
    Somewhere around 1400grams at your price point. Sure you can get it lighter.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Can't comment on your choice. Although Planet X are a good UK company with great customer service. So I am sure when you wear out the rim from breaking they will replace it at a reasonable cost. But I'd ask them first what that cost will be and go from there.

Other than that I'd google or search on here the various hand built guys. DCR, Wheelsmith etc etc. For your price you can get a decent hub, a good lightweight Rim and industry standard spokes (Sapim) you can then replace at a relatively small price when you wear them out.

Personally for me:
    Novatech hub (there are better)
    H plus Son rim
    Sapim laser spokes
    Somewhere around 1400grams at your price point. Sure you can get it lighter.

The OP was wanting some deep section 50/60mm wheels. Are H Plus Sons rims 50/60mm?