Zipp 60 vs Shimano RS81 C50

borre
borre Posts: 12
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
My next wheelset will be one of those:

- Zipp 60

- Shimano RS81 C50

What are your experiences with those wheelset... Which one should I get? :)
Pro's/Con's?

Comments

• Get the Zipps, you get the fancy stickers.

On a serious note. You are aware the Zipps are basically the old 404 clinchers on cheaper hubs? Yet they still cost £1000+.. A waste of money in my opinion.

The Shimano's weigh almost exactly the same but are almost half the price.
  • borre
    Besides the stickers, are they ok?
  • I have RS80 c24 which are fast wheels. What wheels do you have at the minute and how much do you weigh?
  • borre
    edited February 2014
    Current wheels are Shimano RS80 C50.
    I weigh 85 kg (187 lbs).

The RS80 are survived everything i did to them...
    The safe choice will be the RS81 I think, but I like the looks of the Zipps a bit more...

Price of the wheels here: € 699 for the Shimano's, € 880 for the Zipps.
  • If you're buying them for the look then go for it. They do look the part.
  • borre
    Not only the looks...
    What I like in the Shimanos: wider rim (22,7 mm vs 19 on the Zipp), 2:1 spoke lacing, I know they are strong
    Are those Zipps comparable in durability? Or is it purely bling bling :)
  • M Velo
    M Velo Posts: 79
    Zipp 60 for pure bling-bling and the RS 81 for pure aerodynamics and durability.

If you can afford a Zipp 60, then in that case you even consider a DA C50 wheelset(Which cost pretty much the same)

+1 for the RS81.
    Custom build Trek MTB
    Madone 6.9 => Madone 7series
  • borre
    Prices here in BE:
    - RS81 C50: € 650
    - Zipp 60: € 890
    - DA C50: € 1150

So the DA's are still more expensive then the Zipp's... Do you think the Shimano's are as aero as the Zipps?
  • borre
    Prices here in BE:
    - RS81 C50: € 650
    - Zipp 60: € 890
    - DA C50: € 1150

So the DA's are still more expensive then the Zipp's... Do you think the Shimano's are as aero as the Zipps?
  • Wait, you have the RS80 C50s and you're wondering whether to buy the RS81 C50s?

a) it should be very clear that the RS81s are exactly "1" better than the RS80s. Please do not ask me what unit of measurement the 80 is. I do not know. Flippancy aside, the 81s are 11 speed compatable and the hubs are different but I've not seen evidence that the rims are, and they're the important part.

b) the Zipps are different so why not have both Shimano wheels and Zipp wheels? you'll have more choice.

c) look at Spin! or other smaller builders. There is a lot out there at this price point. With subbing in of different spokes and hubs you can bring the Spins into your budget...ie. ditch the CX rays for regular double butted spokes etc.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • borre
    Actually, the RS80 and RS81 are completely different. Hubs are new, rims are also different. RS80 has 19mm rims, RS81 has 22,7mm rims. RS81 also has integrated spoke nipples.
  • M Velo
    M Velo Posts: 79
    borre wrote:
    Actually, the RS80 and RS81 are completely different. Hubs are new, rims are also different. RS80 has 19mm rims, RS81 has 22,7mm rims. RS81 also has integrated spoke nipples.

Actually the RS80 has a 20.8mm rim width and the Zipps are the one with 19mm rim width(If I am correct). Well the disappointing part about the Zipps are that, 125psi is max what they can hold.
    Custom build Trek MTB
    Madone 6.9 => Madone 7series
  • Maninder wrote:
    borre wrote:

Actually the RS80 has a 20.8mm rim width and the Zipps are the one with 19mm rim width(If I am correct). Well the disappointing part about the Zipps are that, 125psi is max what they can hold.
    Max 125psi is disappointing?! Surely your spine can't agree with that statement! :lol:
  • hammamoto
    hammamoto Posts: 24
    Sorry for the hijack! Hoping to resurrect this thread...

I'm trying to decide between the exact same two wheel sets for my new build; Shimano RS81 C50 vs. Zipp 60.

The wheelsets come in at £640 and £840 (including 2 x conti GP4000s), respectively, and weigh ±1800-1900grams - so no real difference there.

Does anyone have an up to date opinion on this decision? Any comments about the reliability/speed/quality of either of the wheelsets? The RS81's are a few mm wider (22.4 vs. 19 at the rim), but are 8mm shallower. My primary focus is to get some nice, not-too-expensive new aero wheels for i) triathlons and general road riding, and ii) to look good on my new bike :wink:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Everyone has said that the Zipps are dated and not worth their price tag. I agree.

That said buy tubs.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg