tapered fork into standard 1 1/8 steer via external adaptor

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a carbon scott spark 30 and some brand new tapered reba's from my Boardman pro and I have been told something about you can put an external bottom bracket cup to make my Scott compatible with the larger forks. Does anyone know of this been done? Did It work ok? Thanks
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    If the head tube diameter is 44mm then it should work, anything narrower wont work. Id look at buying something like a Hope external bottom headset cup should work, but make sure that your steerer is long enough as the cup adds 20mm? to the head tube length. I wanted to do this and to my pinnacle frame but the steer tube was too short using an external headset cup so I had to buy a new frame. Park tools guide or hope is a good place to start see below

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, no adaptor required, just the right headset if you have the right frame, what style headset do you have now?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It will work but I will effect the geometry a little, similar to fitting a 10mm longer fork.
  • This type of headset, with an external bottom cup, is how it works (although this one is currently out of stock, but you'll get the idea):

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=539
  • jon1993
    I have a chis king headset that's set into the frame with a very small band of metal top and bottom of it i believe there semi-integrated
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • jon1993
    I'm not sure what size hole is i will have to measure it and see if it's going to fit If that's the case thanks for the help!
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • jon1993
    Just measured it its 44mm so what are the options I have found the cane creek one but are there any other options? Thanks
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    The superstar and the Hope headsets see posts above :D or below

http://www.biketart.com/2593/products/h ... ional.aspx
  • Hi

Had to take my headset apart the other day to do my forks. Now the centre screw won't do up in the threaded taper. really perplexed by this one, its not threaded and I can't see any thing wrong with it.

ps sorry to hijack this thread but I can't seem to post a new on.

Cheers