Sektors or revelation?

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
All

Looking to get some new forks and it's between either Sektor RL 2014 forks or RevelationRL 2013. Now looking at the specs, I can't see that much difference apart from the Sektor being a bit heavier.

Anyone know a bit more than me and can give some advice as to which would be better?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Avoid the Revelations from Merlin. They come with poploc and to remove it you have to remove a spring from the damper.
    Sektors are very good but Revs are just a bit better and lighter.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'd still say having the dual-flow damper is worth the inconvenience of spending 5 mins unhooking a spring. The Sektor is a fine fork (I have one, with Rev internals now), but if they're both the same price, or there-abouts, I'd still take the Rev.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    My Revs from Merlin came with a crown lockout so i didnt have to fiddle with springs or anything but they also put the latest pop lock lever in the box too. The levers sell for about £30 and I didnt need it at all.
  • Avoid the Revelations from Merlin. They come with poploc and to remove it you have to remove a spring from the damper.
    http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-re ... 58513.html
    Or just simply don't buy the ones with poploc?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The description on the ones I bought didn't say they had poploc. Same with my old rebas
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The description on the ones I bought didn't say they had poploc. Same with my old rebas

There's a difference between not stating that it has poploc and clearly stating that they're crown lockout though.

Am I right in saying the Sektor and Rev are the same chassis with different internals?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep. Sektor is a budget Revelation, in essence. The Sektor RL is good: but the RTC3 gets a better damper still with added dual flow rebound and a high speed circuit.
  • Kowalski675
    Cheers. The RL has the Motion Control damper? How much more pants are my more basic Sektor TKs? Later this year I thought about upgrading to Revelations, but I've only seen 130mm flavour as OE fitments, not aftermarket. Could my chassis take the upgraded internals?
  • supersonic
    The Sektors have a very basic lockout system. The RL has infinite adjustment from fully open to fully closed, so you have more adjustment of the stroke ie can reduce bob, brake dive and unwanted compression but the fork is still active when you need it.

RCT3 adds an extra two settings for quick on the fly adjustment - and the better damper copes with repeated hits better.
  • Kowalski675
    supersonic wrote:
    The Sektors have a very basic lockout system. The RL has infinite adjustment from fully open to fully closed, so you have more adjustment of the stroke ie can reduce bob, brake dive and unwanted compression but the fork is still active when you need it.

RCT3 adds an extra two settings for quick on the fly adjustment - and the better damper copes with repeated hits better.

Cheers, I know what the differences are on paper, was looking more for a qualitative opinion on how much better the RL and RCT3 are. Are we talking night and day? Do you know if my TK chassis is upgradeable to RL or RCT3 internals?
  • supersonic
    You can put the RL in. Only way of telling is to test I am afraid. The TK forks I feel are too active and tend to dive quite a lot. Harder riders will feel more benefit from RCT3.
  • Kowalski675
    supersonic wrote:
    You can put the RL in. Only way of telling is to test I am afraid. The TK forks I feel are too active and tend to dive quite a lot. Harder riders will feel more benefit from RCT3.

Cheers. The RCT3 innards wont fit my chassis then? I'm a lightweight - figuratively and literally - so at 20% sag on my TKs I'm using almost all my travel, but not bottoming them out, but I'm not landing anything from more than a couple of feet of air, or hitting anything hard - the only shredding I've done is old bank statements. They're fine for me now, I was just ruminating on the future. Any idea (approximately) what it would cost me to put in the RL damper? Playing on the new 650b Team FS in Halfords the Revs (and the shock) did feel noticably plusher than mine.