Fred Whitton 4 Seasons - midweek conditions

SmellTheGlove
SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
edited February 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,
I'm planning to do this route early June with a few others; the idea is to do it midweek so does anyone happen to know whether those roads are especially busy with motor traffic on a normal Wednesday or Thursday? That includes Hardknott, Whinlatter, Wrynose etc. Or does the route only really come 'alive' at weekends?
Thanks for any guidance here - it all seems distant in the future right now, while so many roads are still resembling lakes or rivers but surely spring must be on the way…
Cheers.
"Consider the grebe..."

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Whinlatter relatively busy for the lakes, but compared to most places in UK quiet. Hardknott Wrynose, never get busy. Kirkstone will be the busiest of the high passes but not a particular issue.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Kirkstone, Whinlater, Newlands and Honister are wide enough to allow traffic to pass without too much difficulty. Hardknott and Wrynose are very narrow in places so traffic may have to wait behind you, or you may have to stop to let other road users through.
    Midweek shouldn't be too much of an issue for you, enjoy the challenge!
  • Thanks for that guys, all good news. And Streetview is making my head spin - sublime. With out-and-backs I'm thinking we'll do about 300km over three days, with the Fred on the middle day as sandwich filling.
    That's some sandwich.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Try going over Kirkstone via Ambleside as another alternative to the Fred Whitton. They don't call it 'The Struggle' for nothing. It's much harder than the Troutbeck route.
  • Shouldn't be too bad mid week in June. Leave it until July or August and it will be busier.
    Whinlatter is only 'busy' to the forestry centre, and even then its not too bad and fairly wide.
    Where the other passes are routes that people drive for the sake of driving, Kirkstone is one of the main routes in the lakes, albeit probably a lesser main route, if that makes sense.
    Bear in mind that Cold Fell is a bit of a commuter/nut job race route for Sellafield, so try not to hit it 7-9am or 3-5pm.