Ochil Hills

armoureddrummer
armoureddrummer Posts: 145
edited February 2014 in Routes
Hi BR,

I am going to be staying in Auchterarder with my good lady next weekend and am looking for a decent ride setting off from the camp site in Auchterarder. I would prefer not to drive off anywhere and set of from the town.

We are both fairly fit riders and looking for maybe 20 - 25k but my wife is not so much a technical rider. She can certainly hold her own on reasonable single track / landrover track type riding.

Has anyone got any experience on that side of the ochils? Most routes i have seen seem to come from the south in Clackmannanshire or over from Stirling.

All help appreciated. I am off to buy the OS map so references from the OS map would be fine.

Ta

Chris

Comments

• jam5ie76
    jam5ie76 Posts: 108
    Hi Drummer

Ive done a fair bit of road cycling in that area, I can certainly recommend a few routes.

A nice basic loop would be to head north to crieff then round and back via kinkell bridge, not too hilly and the return leg is along nice leafy and quiet roads (the leg up to crieff is a little busier but nothing too stressful). You should be able to find a 20-25km loop in that direction.

Failing that you could head South and up Glen Devon doubling back North just short of Yetts of Muckhart to go up through Dunning Common. Its a nice climb up Glen Devon (busyish road) and Dunning common is pretty sedate from the North (and very quiet). The common brings you out in Dunning which is a nice village (The Kirkstyle Inn is perfect for a breather!) then decent roads back to Auchterarder. That routes a little longer.

The only MB specific routes I can recommend would be around Pitmedden forest (a drive to Abernethy then a little past) or maybe some of the forestry commission trails off the road through Dunnning Common.

Hope this helps

james
  • Thanks James

What do you think of this? Been playing with some ideas:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/354246745