Bottom bracket and Chainset compatibility advice please.

maltloaf_df
maltloaf_df Posts: 118
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

My bike's Chainset is getting quite worn and I would like to replace it, however I'm completely lost with the new bottom bracket systems and what can be used with what. When I was doing lots of bike maintenance it was just shell width and English or Italian thread to worry about !

I have a FSA omega compact Chainset at the moment which is installed in a FSA bottom bracket which has splines for a tool on the outside and is a 4000 which I think is his one... http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... --%C3%9819

What I would like to do it install a Tiagra (or better) Chainset as that's what the rest of the group set is and I need to know if it will just slot into the existing bottom bracket or if I would need a replacement. If so which one ?

I've read a few of the bottom bracket guides on various sites but they all seem to be a bit over complicated and I'm an engineer by trade !

Which bottom bracket type/system do I have and which would I need to replace my current one (if worn or won't fit) so I could use the shimano chainsets ?

Many thanks for any help,

Malty

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes your BB compatible with any external bearing set up.

Judt check the thread us BSA just like the old days.

Speedy Parktools for the how tos and tools that are needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So I would be able to use a tiagra or 105 Chainset with my current bottom bracket ?

Thank you for your reply and thanks for the reminder about park tools site I keep forgetting it's there !

Cheers,

Malty
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I think your current BB will work. If it doesn't though (one way to find out) or is worn (turn the bearings by hand you will soon find out) then any Shimano external BB will work. I persoanlly favour the Token BB not only do they come in pretty colours but the bearings are fully replaceable with after market ones so that means you can have fitted INA bearings for long service life. If you do this yourself you have a cheap Hope BB.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    In theory the axels of the cranks are the same but people can have issues with the fitting. Best to change the BB as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thank you again.

I was a little confused as the shimano bottom brackets seem so cheap compared with the fsa I currently have. I figured I was missing something.

When I decide on a chainset I'll put a shimano bb in too.

Many thanks,

Malty