Rear Derailleur advice please

bucklb
bucklb Posts: 296
edited February 2014 in The workshop
Hi

The jockey wheels on my rear mech (8 speed Acera) are starting to look more like spurs than jockey wheels. When looking at new jockey wheels it's become clear I could replace the whole mech for very little more money (new jockey wheels = c£10/pair Vs new mech £15). I assume it would be a no-brainer to get the new mech, but I've never replaced one - am I fooling myself?

If I'm looking to replace the rear mech would it be sensible to look to upgrade? I've been happy enough with the Acera, but maybe don't know what I've been missing. If I do upgrade,
- can I be sure the new mech will work with my existing (8 speed Acera) shifter?
- what should I upgrade it to? Alivio or Deore look to be the options

My bike is a 2 year old Edinburgh Bikes courier and work may finally offer a bike2work scheme this year (been promised for the last 4 years, mind), so I'm not sure I want to throw money at this as I'm half hoping it'll become a hack bike soonish.

Ta
Bob

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    It's very simple to replace a derailleur, the most difficult bit is probably splitting the chain. Make sure you replace it with one of the same make and the indexing will work perfectly - try a Deore 9-speed (it will work with 8-speed).

My number 1 hint: have the instructions in your hand and read them before you start. So either get the derailleur brand new with the instructions in the box, or download them from the Shimano Technical Documents website. Then just do everything it says in the instructions.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No need to split the chain, just remove the lower jockey wheel and refit with the new one in place.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    HI,

I purchased an Alivio 8 speed RD recently for my nephew's MTB, £22 can't fault it for the money. If you are going to fit one yourself, take your time and make sure you don't cross thread the mounting bolt, (bracket spindle) in the tapped frame/dropout mounting.

Mine did not come with detailed fitting instructions so I downloaded them from http://techdocs.shimano.com/index.jsp

Maybe consider a new chain while you're at it, a basic chain splitter is not expensive and you can use a kmc/sram/wippermann quick link to join if preferred.
  • bucklb
    bucklb Posts: 296
    Thanks all

Decided to stick with like for like (seemed safest option) for the princely sum of £13.39