Garmin maps: City Navigator NT or OS Discoverer 1:50?

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking about buying a Garmin and although I know that you can download maps for free, I'd prefer to have it all sorted in advance. With the current offers at PBK (£80 off if you make the order up to £500) there is quite a good discount to be had on two versions of the 810. This version has the City Navigator NT, while for a mere £30 more I can get the ultimate mapping version which also has the OS discoverer maps.
I'm wondering, what difference would I notice between these two versions?

Comments

• bigaac
    bigaac Posts: 72
    i know you say you'd prefer the Garmin maps but in all honesty there is no difference to the free maps. Just download all the sections you need and with the money saved on the maps just buy a microSD card.

This comes from somebody who has Garmin City Navigator NT 2012 and tried the free maps a few months ago. I've never gone back.
  • bigaac wrote:
    i know you say you'd prefer the Garmin maps but in all honesty there is no difference to the free maps. Just download all the sections you need and with the money saved on the maps just buy a microSD card.

This comes from somebody who has Garmin City Navigator NT 2012 and tried the free maps a few months ago. I've never gone back.
    Thanks Bigaac. Sorry to follow up with more questions: Which download site do you use? And does this allow you also to download the free maps for Europe? If say, you thought that you might go for a ride in Cornwall or any other reasonably large area (rather than, say, I'm going to go for a ride in a much more defined area), how long would it take to find the map and get it to your Garmin?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    To be honest, I wouldnt bother with the Discoverer maps, especially for on-road use. There is limited magnification on them, so as you approach a junction and the map zooms in, it goes all blurry and pixelated - really hard to use. Off road they make more sense, but the free download ones are actually better at both on & off road.

Get the OS style maps for UK from http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm (get 1:50K style, routable, non-contour). Download to an SD card, pop it in and done - ready to ride!

For Europe, someon gave me a link of a website I could go to and download something for different countries but at that time I found the City Navigator Europe ones on Amazon for £25, so thought I would just go with that. They arent as good as the Talkytoaster ones though, so as soon as I was back in the UK, I went back to the free ones...!