microtech crank removal - special tool needed?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I've been trying to remove the crank on my basso laguna, it has a microtech crank (I've read it's just rebadged mice stuff) it has an 8mm Allen key bolt which I've tried to undo but it doesn't come loose very easily.

I don' t want to force it if I need to use a special tool, there is what looks like a cap over the bolt so not sure if I need to remove this first?

any ideas?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Chris Bass wrote:
    (I've read it's just rebadged mice stuff)

Are you replacing it due to a squeak :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    IF it's a self-extracting crank you leave the cap in place and undo the hex bolt. Initially it will loosen, then become more difficult to turn as it bears on the underside of the cap. Persevere though and it will suddenly become easy again and the crank will pop off.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Pictures would be good, but it does sound like it is selfextracting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    keef66 wrote:
    IF it's a self-extracting crank you leave the cap in place and undo the hex bolt. Initially it will loosen, then become more difficult to turn as it bears on the underside of the cap. Persevere though and it will suddenly become easy again and the crank will pop off.

thanks, wasn't sure if i should force it or not, it does give a bit and then stop.

this is the bike if that helps, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-laguna-105-2013/
    if i'm still struggling i'll upload some pics later.
    smidsy wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    (I've read it's just rebadged mice stuff)

Are you replacing it due to a squeak :D

haha - i blame autocorrect!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes