Colin Nago
Colin Nago Posts: 27
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi has anybody used a campag 11 speed chain with another make connecting link,
if so did it work OK

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    They work fine with a KMC 11 speed link: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-11-speed-chain-links/
  • Mine works fine with a 10 speed KMC link too!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Installing chain with KMC link is also cheaper than buying the special chain pin peening tool you need for the campag 11 speed chain.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • You *can* use the KMC 11s joining link but it will invalidate the chain and transmission warranty, so in that sense, it is not to be recommended. KMC are then carrying the liability for any failure / malfunction.

Technically, I'd definitely avoid using a KMC 10s joining link as mentioned elsewhere in the thread - the Campagnolo-fit has a pin length approx 0.4 mm too long (5.9 mm as opposed to KMCs 11s pin length of 5.5 mm) and may occasionally cause gear skipping (as well as there being no guarantee that it will stay connected - KMC would likely take a dim view so in the event of any disasters you'd be totally on your own) and the Shimano-fit one, although a fraction narrower (5.88 mm pin length) is still not accurately to width and so again, if anything did go wrong (as it very well might), KMC would again likely wash their hands of it.

HTH

Graeme
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I could understand it invalidating the chain's warranty since it's contrary to Campag's instructions, but why should it affect any of the rest of the transmission? It's just a chain link.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    gfk_velo wrote:
    You *can* use the KMC 11s joining link but it will invalidate the chain and transmission warranty, so in that sense, it is not to be recommended. KMC are then carrying the liability for any failure / malfunction.

Technically, I'd definitely avoid using a KMC 10s joining link as mentioned elsewhere in the thread - the Campagnolo-fit has a pin length approx 0.4 mm too long (5.9 mm as opposed to KMCs 11s pin length of 5.5 mm) and may occasionally cause gear skipping (as well as there being no guarantee that it will stay connected - KMC would likely take a dim view so in the event of any disasters you'd be totally on your own) and the Shimano-fit one, although a fraction narrower (5.88 mm pin length) is still not accurately to width and so again, if anything did go wrong (as it very well might), KMC would again likely wash their hands of it.

HTH

Graeme

Warranty on a chain??? If it breaks, you buy another one. If it breaks at the side of the road, you will most likely repair it with a KMC link!! I would love to hear of someone making a warranty claim for a new chain and getting the claim approved.

My GF had a KMC link on a Campag 11 chain.

It worked perfectly.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    I had a new bike built up to my spec. last year with Campag Athena 11.
    On cleaning the chain one day a few months later, I noticed the Campag chain had been fitted using a KMC 11 link. Slightly surprised and a little annoyed I spoke to them about it stating my displeasure, to be told "most people would not want the correct link used, as they would not be able to remove the chain for maintenance, without the Campag tool, which is very expensive". My response was that they should have asked me first and was aware of the need for the correct tool and did it not void the warranty? I was told that Campagnolo were ok with the KMC link, which I questioned but accepted.
    To date the chain has covered approx 1800 miles and the chain and link has been fine, so I shan't hesitate to use another KMC link when replacing the chain.
  • Thanks for all your thoughts, I'm going to try one