Mavic Aksium freewheel noise?

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Just about to order a Ribble Gran Fondo and have been recommended a wheel upgrade by staff at Ribble, from Rodi Airline Clinchers to Mavic Aksiums due to improved strength. I am 100 KGs and have a history of busting back wheel spokes. I like wheels without any freewheel noise. Anyone know if the basic Mavic Aksium has freewheel noise? If so, does anyone know of a strong wheel to go for on the Ribble bike builder?

Comments

• paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    The Aksium has a freewheel noise that you can definitely hear.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Aksiums are slightly louder than most Shimano freehubs which are virtually silent.
    Not horrendously loud like some but quite a satisfying click in my opinion.
    Can get a little louder as the grease wears off but still ok.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • I can't believe the noisy freehub (non) issue is back... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    They make an audible clicking noise. Also use custom spokes which you have to buy a pack of, not the best if you have spoke snap issues.
  • I'm no racing snake either. I have Askiums and they have been great, there is some freewheel noise but no more than normal. I have'nt ever considered them to be noisy. I'm pleased enough to be ordering another set for my no.2 bike. I'm. Not sure what else is comparable for the money.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    At 100kg those Aksiums won't last long...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    At 100kg I would abandon any ideas you might have about buying factory wheels. If you want a silent freewheel then I would advise handbuilt Shimano 105 hubs with 36H Mavic Open Pro rim on the back and maybe 32H on the front.

I'm sure a builder like Ugo or The Cycle Clinic on here would be able to help at a price not much different from a set of Aksiums.