advice on some fancy wheels please, will they suit the look

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
i am looking at the possibility at getting some new wheels, i currently have elites for summer but i am thinking of getting some deep rims. now yes part of this is they look good and with the intention of joining the local time trial league they may actually provide some usefulness lol. now i like cosmics, but i am not convinced that wheels all stickered up suit titanium more classically styled bikes. i have an enigma esprit. the other thing is will the cosmics generally perform better all round then the elites? as if to spend that much i would really like to ride more with them then if i bought say some stickerless planet-x wheels that would in the main be kept for time trials. hope i have explained whats going on in my head lol and any thoughts are welcome
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Whatever you do, don't buy carbon clinchers based on the fact that they look good, or you'll just end up being called stupid by some members on here.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Quite the opposite. The only reason to buy carbon clinchers is for how they look. As long as they don't have a silver brake track.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got Aeolus ACC 5.0 on my Enigma Esprit, I don't think that they took too bad at all, but they are de-stickered. (Sorry about the brake track Nap !)

They're a bit of a drag on the hills, hence looking at some light hand-builts at the moment, but they're great when you get your head down and go for it.

Ignore the odd perspective on the first pic, it was taken with a up close with a blackberry.

602a20bd36198da888db83c30660a719.jpg

f834bc834153fc709697135464fe4abc.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ianbar
    oh yes i have looked at your bike on here before, i remember thinking what was your wheels. i suppose i could get cosmics and de badge them. i just think on a classical frame there should be less bling. to be fair I'm a drag up hills regardless lol but could be beneficial to me on the flat where i am not too bad. ps, i like the little touches of red on yours :-)
    enigma esprit
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Never mind the looks, the Carbones with Exalith braking surface sound superb when pulling up at junctions!

Slightly more related to your question, carbones can be quite heavy lumps depending on which model you select and if your use genuinely is time trialing, you may be better served looking at what someone like Wheelsmith could build for you.

If you're riding is likely to include much hill climbing, heavy deep rimmed wheels may not be the answer for you.

Peter
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    That's by far the best looking enigma frame.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    FWIW, aerobars and a TT helmet will make far more of a difference than deep section wheels.

If you care about aero, Mavics aren't an obvious choice - their rims are quite old-school in cross-section.
  • ianbar
    Ok well if mavicz wouldn't be great aero wise what would be (for a not much difference or even less money)
    Yes TT gear would be best but this would be my first true season doing it and don't want to rock up all the gear no idea more than I do already! I have some clip on bars which I may use though. I also would post a pic of my bike but I have never yet done it properly on here and I am not going. To humiliate myself again by getting it wrong yet again!
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    So what would a good aero wheel be? Max £700? Plus how deep should deep rims be?
    enigma esprit
  • majormantra
    £700 buys you either aero or light, but not both unless you are prepared to go Chinese carbon (Farsports etc.) with the pitfalls that that entails.

If you really want aero, you should be looking at fat section or toroidal rims - the PX CT-45 is one of the cheaper options in the UK. If you want light carbon clinchers that are also really aero, you'll have to spend a lot more.

There's no right answer about depth. If you are light, I'd avoid deep sections completely. For average weight riders most people prefer something between 38 and 60mm, but you have to choose your compromises.
  • ianbar
    thanks for that, think i will be avoiding buying chinese carbon. i have been looking round the planet-x range. i also think i will mainly use whatever wheels i got for TT. clinchers over tubular for me, so the Planet X Pro Carbon 50 might be the ones. might hang on as long as i can to see if any offers come along to save some more pennies.
    enigma esprit
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have some chinese carbon clinchers 25mm wide 50mm deep and toridal these are some of the best rims I have ever built with. the rims are incrediably round and flat so much so the tension variation was minimal the kind of variation you get on an Archetype build. So pitfalls I am not sure what they are as this rider is very happy. Even the braking surface is good.

For £700 you can actually get areo and light although sub 1500g will require light hubs like Bitex or Noavetc A291/F482. I built my own with the more reliable Miche Primato's and they weigh in at 1650g not very light but not very heavy either. You will struggle to find any very wide (25mm) and deep carbon clincher rims to weigh less than 500g even from the big names.

Also tubular rims will be lighter and for TT's why not use tubs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ianbar
    The main problem I have is deciding what I exactly want them for. I have kryserium elites which I like and aksiums as winter wheels so if I bought good rims and used them most of the summer my elites end up redundant! But I am turning into a flat track bully so nice aero for long flat rides and TT riding might be what they are and the elites for hillier rides which we have around here.... Oh the conundrum! On slightly different note quite like the look of hand hilt in wheel smith
    enigma esprit
  • majormantra
    I have some chinese carbon clinchers 25mm wide 50mm deep and toridal these are some of the best rims I have ever built with. the rims are incrediably round and flat so much so the tension variation was minimal the kind of variation you get on an Archetype build. So pitfalls I am not sure what they are as this rider is very happy. Even the braking surface is good.

I meant the pitfalls of buying direct from China, and the gamble as to whether he will get a well built set of wheels. The OP isn't building his own and with the cost of shipping, warranty is essentially moot if you buy direct as it's just not economical to return something if you have a problem.

Which supplier did you get your rims from btw? At some point I might build myself some carbon clinchers to build on disc hubs.
  • NWW
    NWW Posts: 7
    I have the 50mm Carbon Alloy from Wheelsmith on my Enigma. Early days but seem smooth and fast on the flat and surprisingly good going uphill. Apologies for the photo but hopefully you get the idea!
  • ianbar
    Oh they look nice! I had looked at them, interesting enigma too ;-)
    enigma esprit
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Unless you are on the gas the whole duration of the ride and say at speeds in excess of 22mph (not a scientific calculation, just my own observation) then I doubt you'd notice much difference in the Cosmic Carbones over your Elites. I also doubt you'd notice any weight penalties between your Elites and a lighter pair of carbon tubulars, such as the 50mm PX ones when it comes to the climbs. I'm going to hang my neck on the line and say for 99% of the time your Elites will be all the wheel you need.

Are you planning on fitting clip on aero/tri bars when you TT? I'd say reducing your silhouette would be far more beneficial (and cheaper) than the wheels alone. Have you thought about spending the £5-700 on a 2nd hand TT bike? I've just bought a 2010 Scott Plasma for £550, in 'as new' condition.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • ianbar
    i do have clip on bars which i have not used yet, but i think i will use. thank you jordan you have told me things i know if I'm honest but need controlling lol i may look for a tt bike but this is my first summer that i will ride the whole series so really i am a pretty green rider plus if i ride a road bike they run a separate comp for road compared to tt bikes.
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar wrote:
    The main problem I have is deciding what I exactly want them for. I have kryserium elites which I like and aksiums as winter wheels so if I bought good rims and used them most of the summer my elites end up redundant! But I am turning into a flat track bully so nice aero for long flat rides and TT riding might be what they are and the elites for hillier rides which we have around here.... Oh the conundrum! On slightly different note quite like the look of hand hilt in wheel smith

Is it fair to say that you have some disposable cash you don't know how to spend and wheels could be a way, just like gambling or prostitutes could be a way or buying your wife a diamond...
    I suggest the latter and if you don't have a wife, save for the engagement ring
    left the forum March 2023
  • ianbar
    yes that could be the case lol i won't be participating in those other activities either. i seem to have plicated myself with a new drill.....for now
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar wrote:
    yes that could be the case lol i won't be participating in those other activities either. i seem to have plicated myself with a new drill.....for now

Wheels dont have to be aero to look fancy! The Campy Zonda http://www.swimcyclerun.com/wheelsroad/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset.html look pretty boss and are great wheels. campagnolo-zonda-wheels.jpg