Dwontube shifter type

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm going for a retro feel for my Caanondale CAAD2 that I'm building up just to get about on whilst my MTB is being repaired.

Which would be the preferable choice of downtube shifter:

Shimano Dura Ace 9sp indexed shifter
or Dia Compe friction shifter?

I'm not going into STI shifters because there are hardly any decent and cheap ones anymore.

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• Friction shifting is trouble free, but the DA indexed ones are awesome
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Friction. Indexing was an invention waiting for the STI shifter to come along - it didn't serve any real purpose at the time. The great thing about non indexed DT shifters is that you only need to get the limit screws set correctly and you're done.

Not sure if they can cover 9 speeds fit but old Suntour DT shifters are the perfect DT shifter and very cheap on Ebay.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you've not used friction shifters, you'll find it odd to have to play around with the lever to get the chain running quietly - compounded by 9 speed which means you'll need to develop a light touch. Go for indexing - it's a no brainer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    The Dia Compe says it can do any system so I'm assuming it has quite a large pivot.

I have used a friction shifter but it was on an 80s MTB on the handlebar and I had no problem setting it in. They both have their ups and downs but I think I'll go for the Dia Compe just in case I want to go 10sp later on (and it's £9 cheaper).

I've just realized the typo in the title as well :shock: ...
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Go for indexing - it's a no brainer.

No it isn't. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I've never used friction shifters on anything with more than 5 cogs... must be pretty fiddly with 9! I remember the problem was always getting it at just the right tightness so that it didn't slip, but also wasn't too stiff. Paradoxically, the stiffer it was the easier it was to over-shift.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    neeb wrote:
    I've never used friction shifters on anything with more than 5 cogs... must be pretty fiddly with 9! I remember the problem was always getting it at just the right tightness so that it didn't slip, but also wasn't too stiff. Paradoxically, the stiffer it was the easier it was to over-shift.

Ridden friction DT shifters with a 7 speed freewheel on the 80's Peugeot my son and I renovated. Amazing how quickly it all came flooding back to me, and how easy it was to fine tune on the road. Can't see 9 speeds being any more difficult.

Still prefer having both hands on the hoods and being able to make very frequent shifts with the STis though.
  • I've been using my (1985) steel winter bike a lot this year. 8 speed SRAM cassette with friction shifters. No problem at all and I wouldn't imagine even 10 speed would be any problem although it would require a bit more skill.

It's partly a nostalgia thing but there's something very satisfying in friction shifting, because you have to be accomplished at it to make it work really well. The lovely "snick snick" sounds of manual shifting are far nicer to the ear than the clunking of STIs. Doing simultaneous changes (front and rear) accurately and quietly is a great feeling.

I still love my STIs for ease of use though - the problem is that I've been using the DT shifters so much lately that when I get onto one of my modern bikes I keep reaching for the bloomin' downtube whenever I change gear!
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I had shimano exage on an older pegeuot 525 comp. Index downtube shifters were awesome. Perfect shifting every time, one assumes the latest ones are as good.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    " Doing simultaneous changes (front and rear) accurately and quietly is a great feeling"

Hang on, doesn't that involve taking both hands off the bars at once? Think I'd be eating tarmac if I tried that with DT shifters. I can manage it with STIs.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I ride with friction shifters on 10 speed it nothing but easy to use. I move the lever and I have a quiet chain. Anyone who say shifting on 9 speed will be tricky has not tried it. You can shift both levers with one hand it is tricky though never quite mastered it. Indexed D/T shifters are quite pointless.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    keef66 wrote:
    " Doing simultaneous changes (front and rear) accurately and quietly is a great feeling"

Hang on, doesn't that involve taking both hands off the bars at once? Think I'd be eating tarmac if I tried that with DT shifters. I can manage it with STIs.
    One handed, moving both levers at once.
    It is like playing a violin rather than a guitar.