Specialized Rockhopper

danedan679
danedan679 Posts: 65
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
A mate of a mate has emigrated to Australia, and I've been given an old black (with red writing) Rockhopper Comp. it looks old but has suspension forks

It's in an unusable condition at the moment and I just wanted to know if it's worth trying to sort it out? I have a couple of road bikes, and don't know anything about mountain bikes. Unfortunately I'm not able to get photos onto this site, but...

It's a 3 by something, but there is no rear cassette. Is there any way of telling what speed cassette it would take. The rear derailleur works but the cable is dodgy so doesn't help.

Also, looks like it has part of a ritchey headset, but only part so that looks like it might need to be replaced. How difficult is this to do?

It'll need new cables all round. Gear and brake levers look like they work.

Basically, is the core bike good enough to consider sorting it out, or shall I just get rid of it? I have some basic skills so it could be a project, but don't have a lot of money to throw at it.

Cheers

Daniel

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Most likely 8 or could be 9 speed gears.

New cassette, chain and gear cables a couple of pound each wouldn't be a lot if you want to get it running to give mountain biking a go.

A picture of the bike would help, so we can advise you further
  • http://s160.photobucket.com/user/dt7890/slideshow/

here are some pictures but no idea how they came out so small so not sure if they can help
  • i was hoping someone might know what year it was, then i can try to get the spec. i think the headset needs sorting first as there is a lot of give there
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looked on specialized web site? They show all bikes back to about 2000 is not further.

As we can not see your images.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'd say it's a worthwhile project, however old it is. I've got a '97 and 2012 RH and love them both, but especially the newer one. Is it steel or aluminium? Specialized have been making bikes with the name Rockhopper for well over 20 years so we need to see it to really know what will be involved. If it is quite old you might be able to pick up some compatible bits from Retrobike, though most "disposable" things like cables, cassettes, BB and headsets you should be able to get new from online places for not very much
  • Thanks nicklouse, didn't think of that!

it's a 2002, 9 speed cassette, ritchey logic 1 1/8 thread less headset.

I'll give it a go
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    danedan679 wrote:
    Thanks nicklouse, didn't think of that!

it's a 2002, 9 speed cassette, ritchey logic 1 1/8 thread less headset.

I'll give it a go

Well 9 speed kit isn't expensive a so you can get it back up and running.

Have you got any tools as you will need a cassette lock ring tool and chain whip to put a new cassette back on the wheel etc.
  • Yeah, I can sort cassette, can replace brake cables. Where I'll come unstuck is indexing the derailleurs and the headset if it needs a new one. There is no top cap or bolt so I'll try that first to see if it sorts prob.

Plus the forks seem ok bit they don't seem to 'go down' as far as they used to judging by the wear marks on them
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Are you sure it's 9 speed? Rockhoppers aren't too fancy and in 2002 9 speed was VERY fancy...
  • Not 100% as the picture on the specialized website had red forks and this has silver forks, but the rest looks similar. I'll just get a second hand 9 speed cassette to see if it fits.

Anyone know if fitting a new headset is difficult?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The pictures do not work for me says private.
  • Cqc wrote:
    Are you sure it's 9 speed? Rockhoppers aren't too fancy and in 2002 9 speed was VERY fancy...
    My RH from 97 had 9sp so it probably is
  • My 1999 Rockhopper FS had 9 speed also :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Thats funny, I guess not much progressed for a decade then, as my 2007 stumpy, which is reasonably high end is 9 speed, and at the rate they've been increaseing the number of rear gears I thought that in 2002 8 speed would bee the norm..