Double or triple

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper Posts: 420
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Right then I've been out of the seen for the last year or so and was wondering if triple chain sets are being phased out.
I'm on the look out for a group set upgrade and was wondering if it's worth staying triple or going double.

Comments

• No. Whatever you want
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Whatever suites you, with wider range 9 & 10 speed setups you get a lkt of overlap with triple but the downsides are small.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whatever you need.

(there's a song in there somewhere.)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    You can change it to what you like, if your not road riding on the bike you could drop the 42/44t ring.

I'm considering doing it and putting a 24/36 double on my bike.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I'm considering changing from a triple to a single. my 32t is not big enough and my 42t doesn't get used that much. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to use my 22t again. So might get a RF NW 34t to go with my clutch rear
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I went from a triple setup on my bikes to double and bash. Have slx 22 / 36 . Would not go back to a triple now. Can hit 25mph on the fat with still a bit to go. Downhill I use gravity assistance .