Can you install Disc brakes without mounts?

John_Carter
John_Carter Posts: 87
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,
My nephew had a GT aggressor 3.0 bike and I'm thining of giving him my old Shimano M395 disc brakes (following an upgrade...) reviews I found online (including on this fine site) suggest that it lacks mounts for disc brakes... is thisn lost? Can I find a way?

EDIT:
You can see in the photo there are two small eyelets (?) behind teh frint wheel hub, could that be used to mount disc breaks? http://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr/2014/bike ... ressor-3-0

Many thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Those are for racks and fenders.

And have a look in the FAQs.

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12643406
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Those are for racks and fenders.

And have a look in the FAQs.

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12643406

Thanks Mate,
    So do you think taht if I ot an adaptor like this I could run Disc brake on the GT agressor 3.0 (2013)?

Thanks,
  • nicklouse
    Maybe but as it does not look like it has disc ready wheels I would just buy a new bike.

Is the fork disc ready?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Maybe but as it does not look like it has disc ready wheels I would just buy a new bike.

Is the fork disc ready?

Not sure about the fork, how can I tell? Should there be some groove?
    The bike is in anotehr country so that doens't help...

Buying anotehr bike is not an option at the moment... The kid likes the bike I'm trying to make it a bit cooler...

Thanks!
  • nicklouse
    If the bike is standard the fork is not disc ready. The wheels are not disc ready.

This is going from the UK spec.

Where was the bike bought?
  • nicklouse wrote:
    If the bike is standard the fork is not disc ready. The wheels are not disc ready.

This is going from the UK spec.

Where was the bike bought?

It was bought in Isreal but I doubt the spec would have been different...

The next candidate for those disc brakes is my daughter's bike, she has a frog MTB:
    http://www.frogbikes.com/lightweight-ki ... 60mtb.aspx - there are two 'eyelets' on the back of the fork and the wheel hub has two rubbery things at both ends that could be removed and make way for a disc perhpas?

Thanks again for all the help!
  • nicklouse
    Yes the Frog has a disc ready fork but I do not think the huds are disc ready as they are just listed as I branded alloy hubs.

Sorry wait till she needs a bigger bike.
  • nicklouse
    Re the GT the international spec is the same.

You might also need to add gear shifters to you list as well as I thing the GT comes with combined brake and gear pods unless you are thinking of mechanical brakes.

Be aware that the aggressors higher in the range that have disc have a reinforced frame which gives me thought for concern.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Re the GT the international spec is the same.

You might also need to add gear shifters to you list as well as I thing the GT comes with combined brake and gear pods unless you are thinking of mechanical brakes.

Be aware that the aggressors higher in the range that have disc have a reinforced frame which gives me thought for concern.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback mate!