Rotors for XTR brakes...

jimbo33x
jimbo33x Posts: 16
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I know theres a thread already on the worthiness of ice tech rotors but i`m interested on general opinion on the way forward for my brake upgrade.

I`ve just got the m987 xtr brakeset to replace the Avids on my bike but i`m now looking for what rotors to use with the brakes. Use will be XC, currently racing in thetford winter series and then msg over the summer plus occasional trips to Cannock etc.

I`m hoping the brakes will be powerful enough to allow me to run 160mm rotors f+r but can always upgrade to a 180 if needed.

Opinions please ?

Cheers.

Comments

• I'd got icetec 160s all round
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For racing I'd be using Ashima or Alligator lightweight discs, 160 will be fine, for a bit more heat capacity then the A2Z floating Tepanyaki or a stock Hayes on the front are an option, no need for icetech at all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I found the KCNC rotors lacking in power on the front, and switched back to an Avid front, with KCNC rear.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Hayes brake as well as Avid, but are about 20g lighter (want to try one?)

Or I now have an A2Z with a full brake surface but juzt 90g due to the alloy spider.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Two piece A2Z one could work. Just switched back to avid because I had one, it wasn't that heavy IIRC.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369