Shoes for flats

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking at getting some Shimano AM41s or Five Ten Freeriders

Can anyone comment on either of these?

Also have you seen them on offer online at all?

Thanks

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    How big are your feet? Teva Links were £30 on eBay last night.
  • ej2320
    Size 12

I'll have a quick look on ebay now
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Looks like they've gone at that price. They were bigger sizes too.

I bought another pair, mids this time, from Rutland last night ( the ones on eBay were too big for me) for just over £40 after quidco cash back.
  • AM41s for me. Are more 'winter proofed' than the others.
    Grippy and stiff soled.
    Only issue I have with them is the lace cover. It's rubberised, which makes them waterproof, but they do tear up if you ride through thorns and sharp branches.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    AM41s here.Can't really fault them but they do look a bit "special" :roll:
  • ej2320
    ibbo68 wrote:
    AM41s here.Can't really fault them but they do look a bit "special" :roll:

I don't really mind the look to be honest

The AM41s seem to be around the £52 mark, I like the look of the Freeriders VXi elements but they don't seem to be any cheaper than £75
  • I cannot comment on the shoes you have mentioned although I did nearly buy some Shimamo AM41 but instead picked up some Giro 'The Jacket' shoes a few weeks ago. Due to illness I only managed my first ride in them yesterday (god awful day it was too) and they were much better than the Vans Rowley skate shoes I had been using previously. I think I got them for £45 from Halfords, granted they are not my usual style of footwear but the stiff and grippy sole felt much better.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have got AM41's and have had 5.10 freeriders. If I lived in a country where it never rains I would buy the 5.10s but in this country Shimano AM41's are just much better suited to our conditions and still have 90% of the grip.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    AM41s - very comfortable even when soaking wet.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I wear 5:10's - grip is great, shoe is a sponge and takes forever to dry - not great if its wet out!

Teva Links look good but are discontinued now so best not to buy and love and never be able to get them again!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I've got the Five Ten Karver, very grippy and great at keeping your feet dry too, colours might not be everyone's cup of tea though :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn