What's the latest you have 'spannered' until?

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited February 2014 in MTB general
Hey

As the title says, what time do you prep until for your ride the next day, as I'm still up now haha,

Still gears to check, brakes to set, wheel bearings have been replaced, as have the tyres and all in the dining room, the missus is not happy!! Lol
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    When she goes to bed, it's the only peaceful time to tinker I get! I've been known to be playing with a multi tool past 2am...
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Bicycles? Not too late, never had too many big issues to fix
    Motorbikes? 5am or so, keep fixing until I "Sit down for a minute" and fall asleep on my garage floor
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    TwellySmat wrote:
    When she goes to bed, it's the only peaceful time to tinker I get! I've been known to be playing with a multi tool past 2am...
    This ^^^^

Although it's better when she plays with my multi-tool
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    2AM or so? Though there's not much I can't fix relatively quickly these days.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    My back wheel collapsed on the way home from work, so I was up til gone 1 building a new one, didn't start til 11 after my gf had gone to sleep, and I don't have a wheel jig so I had to use the bike to dish and true it.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Did a gear cable swap about midnight last week, with lots of kids you don't normally get free time until late at night.

Stayed up until about 4am once doing a frame and fork swap for someone before a weekend trip away as a surprise, that's a bit gay obviously.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Im an aircraft engineer and often work nights.
    Of course, I never take my bike, or parts thereof, into work to work on if its quiet..!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have been up until 3:00am rebuilding a wheel and bodging a bent mech to get it vaguely straight then up at 6:00am to drive to a race.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    JMcP92 wrote:
    Motorbikes? 5am or so, keep fixing until I "Sit down for a minute" and fall asleep on my garage floor

Often worked well into (and through) the night in teh past - once removed a Bandit engine on my own, by candlelight. God, they're heavy lumps. Can't really see that there's much on an MTB that would need an all nighter - even if you're building it from a pile of parts it doesn't exactly take long.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    JMcP92 wrote:

Often worked well into (and through) the night in teh past - once removed a Bandit engine on my own, by candlelight. God, they're heavy lumps. Can't really see that there's much on an MTB that would need an all nighter - even if you're building it from a pile of parts it doesn't exactly take long.

I wouldn't normally agree but yeah unless you start too late there is little to keep you up late - bike is generally in working order so its minor tweaks and I normally save them for the morning of the ride - often as I get the bike out the car or roll out the door and remember that problem I ignored at the end of the last ride.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    With the cars done many an all nighter. But rarely when I have been driving myself the next day. Other than doing half an engine change on some else's car so they could beat me the next day.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I thought just check bike before I go to bed make sure everythings just right for the ride in the morning. Oh poo the BB is wobbling a bit wont take me long to remove the old square taper BB and fit the nice shiny new one I have. No idea what time I finally finished wrestling with the bloody thing but the birdies were twittering away when I finished and I slept in and missed the ride anyway.

Dont assume a new steel MTB had copper grease on the BB threads when it was assembled in the factory.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Big lesson I've learned: don't leave bike work till the night before you want to ride it.